turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is not calculating my excess social security tax paid for two different companies as a tax credit on my 1040. How do I override and manually update 1040?

@kristen-kmiec 

DID both of your W-2 forms have the same  EIN for the "employer" ?? 

I hadn't tested that...only two different employer W-2 with separate EIN's.  The same EIN usually occurs only if both employers use a payroll service.....or sometimes on a company merger/buy-out mid-year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Turbotax is not calculating my excess social security tax paid for two different companies as a tax credit on my 1040. How do I override and manually update 1040?

Yes both of my W2 forms have the same EIN because the same payroll service was used. They are 2 separate companies. Sounds like it is a system bug for this case that needs to be fixed by TurboTax

It's being reported offline by @DoninGA 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dmertz
Level 15

I just tested with online TurboTax and even in online TurboTax I do not get the Yes/No question if the Forms W-2 have different EINs.  But as with the CD/download version, if the EINs ar the same, TurboTax ignores the answer to the Yes/No question and treats the Forms W-2 as being from the same employer.

If the employers are different, they must have different EINs.  The payroll service should be putting each separate business's EIN on the Forms W-2, not the payroll service's EIN.  If the payroll service is putting the same EIN on both Forms W-2, they are saying that both Forms W-2 are from the same employer.

https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/third-party-payer-arrangements-payroll-service-providers-and...

@dmertz 

In my situation the separate W-2s (prepared by the same company with the same EIN) are treated as different employers because my wages were paid by separately operated subsidiaries of a common parent company. I should be credited and the system should update the 1040 but it isn't. It is a program bug with the TurboTax system that needs to be fixed.

@kristen-kmiec 

Yep...that's a confirmed bug by several people...and being reported to the Moderators..  (I confirmed it happens with the Online software too)

Doubt it will get fixed next week since it has to go thru several reporting tests & steps, but maybe the week after.  

dmertz
Level 15

A subsidiary of a parent corporation is required to have a separate EIN and that's the EIN that should be on the W-2.  Apparently it's common enough for a parent corporation to mistakenly use the parent corporation's EIN that TurboTax added the Yes/No question that is presently not working as intended.

@kristen-kmiec …… We are aware of that document and are challenging it.    It has not been true for at least the last 5 years in test of those year's software.  Most of us still think it's a significant unintended bug…..Right now, the software isn't allowing it, even though it indicates it might be, but doesn't.   Certainly, someone or some team at TTX may have made a conscious decision this year to not allow it, but so far, there is no evidence that decision was ever made.

Your link appears to be garbled...but we know which one it is.

@SteamTrain I agree! 

sorry about the link, TTX is removing part of it because it is recognizing as a phone number

AegonTarg
Returning Member

I just started my tax returns today using TT Online and I am also having the same issue after entering W2s from 2 entirely different companies. TT says "You're entitled to a refund of $1,658.00 for the excess Social Security withheld from your pay" but it does not reflect at all in my refund.

I deleted and re-entered both W2s (from 2 entirely different companies) and the problem persists.

I like filing my taxes early, do you have an idea on when this bug will be fixed? I prefer to use TT, but would use another tax service if I had to.

@AegonTarg I was told by TTX that they don’t support this type of calculation so I don’t have confidence they will fix. 

AegonTarg
Returning Member

@kristen-kmiec thanks for the heads up. have you tried another tax program to help? or what solution are you going with so you can make sure you get the excess owed to you?

@AegonTarg I used the online federal government site. I ran into the same issue with H&R Block. Good luck!

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

If you had excess social security withheld from your wages because you reached the maximum social security for one employer and subsequent employer(s) also withheld, Turbo Tax will make that adjustment automatically. 

The excess tax will appear on Schedule 3, line 11 and be carried forward to line 18d of your Form 1040.

If your W2 was in error (one employer withheld a higher or lower percentage of social security taxes than they should have) you will need to contact your employer and request a corrected W2.

Here is a TurboTax Help article that explains in more detail:  Excess Social Security Withheld

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies