sit60s

Turbotax did not ask me to enter social security info this year so i filed without claiming SSI. I now believe this is an error on TurboTax. How do I correct it?

My wife and I received SSI this year and have SSA-1099s but TurboTax never prompted me to enter the information. I filed thinking the tax law had changed but now believe TurboTax screwed up. How can I fix this?

Did you already e-file without entering the SSA1099's?    You were supposed to enter them here:

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

BUT-----

You cannot amend a tax return that was just accepted.   You have to wait for it to be processed by the IRS.  Trying to send in an amended return while they are still processing the original return could confuse things and delay your refund for months.

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The 2020 Form 1040X does not become available until the end of February 2020 (subject to change).

Gerald  Swanson

Where do I get the 1040X form?? thanks

Gerald  Swanson

Are you guys going to help me on this??

DaveF1006

To report your SSI benefits for 2020, you will need to amend your 2020 return to file the 1040X. Right now, you won't be able to amend your return until mid-to- late march.

@Gerald Swanson   This is not a chat line.  This is a public message board.  You have to be patient and wait for someone to reply.

You cannot cancel or change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it. Click on Add a State to let you back into your return..

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

fanfare

In these cases, IRS knows about your SS and SSI benefits.

They will adjust your return and send you a bill if you owe more tax.

WAIT.