Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does “Total of all your payments and withholding” mean on a 1099-G if it does not list it on the form? My 2017 1099-G does not have anything after box 3.

Week after I filed 2017 I amended it. The 1099-g amount is not amount of amended nor of  first file.  For the total amount section. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

What does “Total of all your payments and withholding” mean on a 1099-G if it does not list it on the form? My 2017 1099-G does not have anything after box 3.

"Total of all your payments and withholding” means the program is asking for the amount of state/local tax that you paid in Tax year 2017. This would be listed on any income documents you had, such as a W2 and/or 1099 as well as any payments (such as state estimated tax payments) you sent to the state/local tax agencies. 

The 1099-G you get for a state refund is reporting what the state sent to you as a refund in 2018. 

As you work through TurboTax and enter the refund, the program needs a lot of information to calculate the taxable part IF there is a taxable part. The amount of state tax you paid in 2017 is needed for this calculation.

If you took the Standard deduction on your 2017 return, the state refund is not reported as income. 

If you itemized on your 2017 return, but you claimed sales tax rather than income tax paid, the state refund is not claimed as income (you did filed Schedule A but you checked box 5b, NOT 5a).

If you itemized on your 2017 Federal Tax return, and you took a credit for state income tax paid, (5a) you now must claim (at least part) of that refunded state tax as income. The program will ask the questions needed for the calculation of the taxable portion.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

"Total of all your payments and withholding” means the program is asking for the amount of state/local tax that you paid in Tax year 2017. This would be listed on any income documents you had, such as a W2 and/or 1099 as well as any payments (such as state estimated tax payments) you sent to the state/local tax agencies. 

The 1099-G you get for a state refund is reporting what the state sent to you as a refund in 2018. 

As you work through TurboTax and enter the refund, the program needs a lot of information to calculate the taxable part IF there is a taxable part. The amount of state tax you paid in 2017 is needed for this calculation.

If you took the Standard deduction on your 2017 return, the state refund is not reported as income. 

If you itemized on your 2017 return, but you claimed sales tax rather than income tax paid, the state refund is not claimed as income (you did filed Schedule A but you checked box 5b, NOT 5a).

If you itemized on your 2017 Federal Tax return, and you took a credit for state income tax paid, (5a) you now must claim (at least part) of that refunded state tax as income. The program will ask the questions needed for the calculation of the taxable portion.

Turbox 2019 asks for taxes paid for 2018 but shouldn't it actually be the amount from the Tax year that it is from?

In my case the refund is from a 1040-X from 2015.

@brianborges wrote:

Turbox 2019 asks for taxes paid for 2018 but shouldn't it actually be the amount from the Tax year that it is from?

In my case the refund is from a 1040-X from 2015.

Federal tax refunds are not entered on a federal tax return.

Sorry if i was unclear.  It is a state refund that was brought about by an amended Federal and State tax return.

I found somewhere in another thread that it should tell you to use whichever year that the refund is from. Right off the bat Turbotax should just ask if you filed Schedule A before they run you through everything else.

Gangsta69

Should I include taxes I paid for my home to the town e.g. school taxes and town taxes?

I tried finding an answer to this for some time.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Gangsta69 Your annual Property Tax bill  would include school and local taxes.

Check your bill (probably from County Treasurer) to see these items if you pay your Property Tax separately. 

If you pay Property Tax with your Mortgage Payments, your Mortgage Interest Form 1098 will show the total Property Tax you paid.

Click this link for info How to Enter Property Tax Paid

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CH503

@MarilynG1 the question from @Gangsta69 is whether property tax should be included in the "Total of all your payments and withholdings" calculation. Can you please clarify?

When looking at the previous year's tax return, is there one field that shows the total? Or do we need to add from multiple boxes to get the total? In either case, can you please share Box IDs?

Thank you!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@CH503 No, Property Tax does not show in 'Total of all Your Payments and Withholding'.  This includes Tax Withheld on W-2s, 1099's, etc.

Property Tax is an Itemized Deduction reported on Schedule A.  If you are using the Standard Deduction, you won't see your Property Tax listed, as it is not calculated for your tax return.

You can print  'all forms and worksheets' to see the items you entered for Schedule A that were not used in your return in the Print Center.

Click this link for more info info on Printing Forms and Worksheets

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies