turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In PA if I need to take an early withdrawal from my 401k. Am I being taxed on the full amount being taking out? Also what is the tax rate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

In PA if I need to take an early withdrawal from my 401k. Am I being taxed on the full amount being taking out? Also what is the tax rate?

Regarding PA income taxes, an early withdrawal from a retirement account by a PA resident is taxable to the extent that the withdrawal exceeds your basis in the retirement account.

Your basis is the sum of all your contributions (do not count earnings or any employer contributions)  less the sum of all distributions taken in previous years.  You may need to contact the plan administrator if you have not been keeping good records.

Essentially, you get your contributions back first tax free, anything above what you personally contributed is taxable if taken as an early withdrawal (1099R, box 7, coded 1 or 2)

For a withdrawal from a 401k tax deferred retirement account, the taxable amount withdrawn is entered on your tax return as ordinary income and taxed at your current tax rate.  If you are under the age for an early withdrawal exception then there is a 10% early withdrawal penalty assessed on your federal Form 1040 as a tax liability.

The Pennsylvania state income tax rate is currently 3.07%
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies