turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm 17, I've been living with my aunt since november 2013, she's my legal guardian, is she getting money from me, or taxes? I've never had a job. Do i get money from tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm 17, I've been living with my aunt since november 2013, she's my legal guardian, is she getting money from me, or taxes? I've never had a job. Do i get money from tax?

If you have no income then you are not required to file a tax return and there would be no benefit from doing so. Your aunt may be claiming you as a dependent, in which case she gets a small tax benefit from doing that.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

I am a US citizen, my mom lives in Mexico, I live with my aunt and her family

If you have no income then you are not required to file a tax return and there would be no benefit from doing so. Your aunt may be claiming you as a dependent, in which case she gets a small tax benefit from doing that.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You are a "qualifying child"  (QC) dependent for your aunt. This means she is most likely claiming you as a dependent and receiving the appropriate tax benefits. The Child tax credit (usually $1000) is no longer available once the QC turns 17.

As others have said, YOU cannot get money "from tax". Only the adult, related (e.g. aunt) taxpayer, with reportable income, that you live with can get money.

and not everyone gets money "from tax." Taxes are paid to support the government.

You mainly only get back money if you paid too much withholding out of your paychecks.
Hal_Al
Level 15

The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return involves two things:
1. claiming kids as dependents (but you are not allowed to claim yourself as a kid)
2.  have some earned income (wages or self employment)
Without earned income or "qualifying children"  you are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit.

Thank you all, and well the reason why I'm asking this, is because I've let her borrow my papers (social security, birth certificate) and I don't know what she does with them, she doesn't tell what she does, I have my birth certificate with me , but she has my ssn, Is there something she can do with them?
Hal_Al
Level 15

This is only an income tax forum, not a legal forum. To claim a dependent, she needs the dependents's ssn. From what you describe, she is 100% entitled to claim your and does not need you permission, or the permission of your parent(s).
Furthermore, there is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim YOU as a dependent, You are not allowed to claim your own exemption. If you have  sufficient income (usually more than $6300),  you can & should still file taxes, you just don’t get your own $4050 exemption (deduction).

She likely could have claimed you as a tax dependent for both 2014 and 2015 as well.
"I don't know what she does with them."   Is she applying for financial aid for you for college?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies