Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Word "Rollover" does not appear next to Form 1040 Line 5b in TurboTax

My 1040 5a also does not show the word ROLLOVER.

I've done an after-tax contribution of $38,500.  And an in-plan ROTH conversion within the 401k.  No IRA.  There would not be a form 5498 submitted by a financial institution since this is not an IRA.  Do I need to worry? 

The 1099-R is correct:

Box 1 38,500.00

Box 2a 0.00

Box 5 38,500

Box 7 Distribution Code is G.

On the 1040:

5a is 38,500.00

5b is 0.00.  

I noticed this a few hours after E-filing via Turbotax Online Self Employed.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax mistakenly omits the word ROLLOVER on an In-plan Roth Rollover that has a taxable amount of zero.  Others have noticed this over several years.  It's certainly a bug in TurboTax, but it's unlikely to cause any difficulty with the IRS.

Thank you dmertz.

I also spoke with a TurboTax CPA.  And they said, it's not a problem as the IRS has the 1099-R and will figure out that its a rollover.

I'd rather not bet that the IRS will figure out the discretion properly though.  Personally speaking...

@EP2021 wrote:

Thank you dmertz.

I also spoke with a TurboTax CPA.  And they said, it's not a problem as the IRS has the 1099-R and will figure out that its a rollover.

I'd rather not bet that the IRS will figure out the discretion properly though.  Personally speaking...

If the 1099-R box 7 code is G then the that  code *is* a rollover.     The word ROLLOVER should still appear and it does in the desktop version but not the online version.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you macuser22.   This bug seems too very complicated for TT to fix..🤔

And I am wondering if this will really be OK, or will really cause a big problem.  TT's CPA said not to worry..  But I'm not sure that helps the IRS.  Or me.

It will not create any problem.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
illuminato
Returning Member

@macuser_22 

I have desktop version (updated yesterday) and I don't get ROLLOVER word. 

@illuminato wrote:

@macuser_22 

I have desktop version (updated yesterday) and I don't get ROLLOVER word. 

What code is in box 7 on your 1099-R and what type of account was it rolled into?

illuminato
Returning Member

@macuser_22 

Box 1: 6,943

Total distribution: X

Box 7: G

IRA/SEP/SIMPLE: X

It was rollover (before tax funds) from traditional IRA to Self 401k (traditional). 

Then just deposit it with the account custodian.  And be sure to tell them that it is a direct rollover from the IRA custodian.

User @dmertz do you agree?

dmertz
Level 15

I assume that the rollover was completed long ago.  I don't see anything to suggest otherwise.

As far as I can tell, TurboTax properly places the word ROLLOVER next to line 4b after entering a Form 1099-R with code G in box 7 and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.  If you don't see the word ROLLOVER next to line 4b, I suggest deleting and reentering this Form 1099-R.  The problem reported on this thread has to do with a rollover from an account like a 401(k), not a rollover from an IRA.

illuminato
Returning Member

@macuser_22 

Sorry for confusion. You are right about line 4a I am getting "ROLLOVER" word but I am not getting it for line 5a. 

Here 1099R that I use for line 5 (trad 401k to roth 401k conversion):

Box 1: $20,432

Box 2a: $0

Box 5:  $20,432

@illuminato wrote:

@macuser_22 

Sorry for confusion. You are right about line 4a I am getting "ROLLOVER" word but I am not getting it for line 5a. 

Here 1099R that I use for line 5 (trad 401k to roth 401k conversion):

Box 1: $20,432

Box 2a: $0

Box 5:  $20,432

Right - that is a software bug but the code G tells the IRS that is was a rollover.     Code G means rollover but the wort ROLLOVER should be there anyway but it isn't.

@dmertz wrote:

I assume that the rollover was completed long ago.  I don't see anything to suggest otherwise.

As far as I can tell, TurboTax properly places the word ROLLOVER next to line 4b after entering a Form 1099-R with code G in box 7 and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.  If you don't see the word ROLLOVER next to line 4b, I suggest deleting and reentering this Form 1099-R.  The problem reported on this thread has to do with a rollover from an account like a 401(k), not a rollover from an IRA.

Yes, and it does with the desktop version but is missing in the online version.

I am working on my 2022 taxes on TurboTax online and I can confirm this same problem is in the online version in Jan 2023. 

• I noticed that "ROLLOVER" will not appear if I enter my 401(k) after tax to Roth 401(k) in plan conversions
  • 1099-R is Code G and similar to others mentioned here with 0.00 taxable amount

Unfortunately I already paid for the online version.  It sounds like this is only fixed in the downloadable software, but I'd have to pay another fee just to solve this unfortunate bug.  Any possibility of getting a voucher for the downloadable version so I can avoid this bug?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies