turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

glemse

Where do I enter income shown on my 1099-S?

Where do I enter income shown on my 1099-S on my tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I enter Form 1099-S?

You may get a 1099-S if you sold your home, a rental property, stock in a co-op or any other real estate, including land, permanent structures, or standing timber on your land.

Sale of your main home

If the 1099-S was for the sale of your main home, it’s reported under Less Common Income in the Wages & Income section. Here's how to enter the form:

• Open or continue your return.
  • Type sale of home in the Search box.
  • Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  • Follow the screens to enter the info from your 1099-S.

Profits of up to $250,000 ($500,000 on a joint return) on the sale of your home may not be taxable if it was your primary residence for two of the last five years. We’ll ask you some questions about the sale of your home to see if you qualify.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-form-1099-s/00/26218

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Where do I enter Form 1099-S?

You may get a 1099-S if you sold your home, a rental property, stock in a co-op or any other real estate, including land, permanent structures, or standing timber on your land.

Sale of your main home

If the 1099-S was for the sale of your main home, it’s reported under Less Common Income in the Wages & Income section. Here's how to enter the form:

• Open or continue your return.
  • Type sale of home in the Search box.
  • Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  • Follow the screens to enter the info from your 1099-S.

Profits of up to $250,000 ($500,000 on a joint return) on the sale of your home may not be taxable if it was your primary residence for two of the last five years. We’ll ask you some questions about the sale of your home to see if you qualify.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-form-1099-s/00/26218

kevindock
Returning Member

I sold a rental property but did not receive a 1099-S. Do I need to get a 1099-S?

@kevindock 

You should have a 1099-S they are required and is probably in amongst the pile of closing papers.  However even if you didn't get one  you will use the info on the HUD/closing statement and sell the rental by following the screens in the rental asset section. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1933977-i-sold-my-rental-property-how-do-i-report-that?jump_to=ans...

erymelb

: Where do I enter income shown on my 1099-S

by

erymelb

Thanks

@erymelb 

See my post above, it gives instructions on how to enter your 1099-S form.

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Form 1099-S is used to report proceeds from real estate transactions, to report the sale or exchange of real estate.

To enter a 1099-S

1. Go to Wages & Income
  2. Scroll all the way down to Less Common Income  
    1. Select Sale of Home (gain or loss)
  3. Continue through the interview, and post the information from the 1099-S
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The 1099-S for has no ONE screen to report it on ... depending on what you sold the sale gets reported in different places in the interview.  @erymelb    So what exactly did you sell ??

hillmah

I inherited property that was sold and split between two people. would the sales proceeds be what i received?  Would the cost or other basis be the amount the property was worth?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, the sales proceeds would be the amount that you received. The other person would report their share of the proceeds on their return.

The basis for inherited property is the value on the date of death. You may be able to use the tax assessor's office or know some local real estate agents that can provide a better basis. Included in the basis will also be your share of the selling expenses. 

Other expenses like improvements and charges listed on the settlement statement are added to the basis.

Home improvements may come into play when you sell your home because they're included in your home's adjusted cost basis. The bigger your basis, the smaller your capital gain, and that means less tax.

To qualify as an increase in the adjusted basis when you sell, the home improvement must:

• Add materially to the value of your home; or
  • Prolong your home's useful life significantly; or
  • Adapt your home to new uses

Here are some examples of improvements:

• Remodels and room additions (including decks and porches)
  • New or upgraded landscaping, irrigation, sprinkler system
  • Hardscape such as pavement, block or retaining wall, patio
  • Fencing
  • Storm windows, doors
  • New roof
  • Upgraded wiring, plumbing, ductwork
  • Central heating, AC, humidifier
  • New furnace, water heater
  • Filtration, soft-water, or septic system
  • Built-in appliances
  • New flooring or wall-to-wall carpeting
  • Upgraded insulation

And some expenses that are listed on the settlement statement can be added to the basis. These include:

• Title fees
  • real estate commissions
  • documentary stamps
  • credit report costs
  • costs of an abstract
  • transfer taxes
  • home inspection
  • flood certificate
  • attorney fees, etc.  

@hillmah

You told how to inter 1099-s when selling main home, but not how to enter if it is a 2nd home. Can you tell me how to inter using your TurboTax Home and Business?

Thanks

PattiF
Expert Alumni

To enter the sale of a second home in TurboTax Home and Business, follow these instructions:

1. Open or continue your return in your TurboTax software
  2. In the search box, search for sold second home and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you sell any investments in 2021? screen
    • If you land on the Your investment sales summary screen, select Add More Sales
  4. On the Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales? screen, select No
  5. On the Tell us about this sale screen, select I’ll enter one sale at a time, and enter Second home (do this also for inherited homes) or Land in the Description box
  6. Enter the remaining info for your sale and continue through the screens until you reach Here’s all the investment accounts we have so far
    • If you have more sales to add, select Add more sales
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies