turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

conkeyro
Returning Member

For a 1099r why does Turbo tax use the gross distribution instead of ther taxable distribution to calcuate taxable income?

My 1099R has the taxable amount not determined box checked.  I have been able to determine this value and entered it in box 2A.  Turbo Tax, however, used the gross distribution from Box 1 to calculate the taxable income.  How do I correct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

For a 1099r why does Turbo tax use the gross distribution instead of ther taxable distribution to calcuate taxable income?

When you rolled the 401(k) over to the IRA, assuming that the entire gross amount was rolled over, the after-tax basis in your 401(k) became nondeductible contribution basis in your traditional IRAs.  To get the distribution from your IRA reported correctly, you must do the following:

• Enter the Form 1099-R as reported on the form provided by the payer (including box 2a being the same as box 1).
  • Click the Continute button on the Your 1099-R Entries page.
  • Indicate that Yes, you made nondeductible contributions to your traditional IRAs.
  • On the next page, click the EasyGuide button
  • Proceed to the page where you can mark the box labeled I transferred money from an employer's retirement plan in 2016 or a previous year.
  • Enter the dollar amount of basis amount rolled over from the 401(k) plan as the Net Rollover Basis From Employer Plans.
  • Enter the explanation regarding the adjustment to basis resulting from the rollover from the 401(k).

TurboTax will use this, the amount of your IRA distribution(s) and your 2016 year-end balance in traditional IRAs to calculate on Form 8606 the amount of your distribution that is taxable.

conkeyro
Returning Member

Thank you so much:

Where are you looking?  If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check your return and make sure it's right.

For 1099R check the actual 1040 line 15b or 16b for any taxable amount.  If it was a rollover it should say ROLLOVER by the "b" line. (1040A lines 11b & 12b)

Then you should not fill in box 2a.  You enter the 1099R exactly as shown and answer the follow up questions to determine the taxable amount.  Leave 2a BLANK.

To preview your Online return, go to My Account at the top.  Then Tools, then View Tax summary.  Then you can click on Preview My 1040 at the top. OR click Review near the top of your screen, and then click Summary right below it.  Then Near the bottom of the We Guarantee Your Maximum Refund screen, click the Preview Return link.
conkeyro
Returning Member

This did not help.  I left box 2a blank and checked the taxable amount not determined box.  There were no follow up questions on this and turbo tax used the gross distribution amount in box 15b of the 1040.

What code is in box 7 on the 1099R?  @dmertz
conkeyro
Returning Member

Box 7 code is 7

What is the 1099R from?  Why is part of it not taxable?
conkeyro
Returning Member

Distribution from my 401K (rolled over into an IRA):   A long time ago the General Electric Savings and Security program used after tax money.  In the mid 80's they changed it to a 401K plan but some of the money in it was after tax money.   6.01% of my contributions to the plan were after tax money.  6.01% of my withdrawals are not taxable
dmertz
Level 15

Is this Form 1099-R reporting the rollover from the 401(k) to the IRA, or is this Form 1099-R reporting a distribution from the IRA?
Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked on this Form 1099-R?
Is any amount shown in box 5 of this Form 1099-R?

The after-tax amount of your contributions to the plan is a fixed dollar amount.  6.01% of your contributions being after tax contributions does not make 6.01% of your distribution nontaxable (unless you meant to say that 6.01% of the amount distributed equals the amount of after-tax contributions to the plan).  The earnings attributable to the after-tax portion are taxable, so it could be that more or (more likely) less than 6.01% of your distribution is nontaxable, depending on investment performance in the plan.

If this is reporting the distribution from the 401(k), at least 20% of the taxable amount would have to have been withheld for taxes.  Did you make up that portion with other funds so as to complete the rollover of the entire gross amount of the distribution?
conkeyro
Returning Member

OK Thanks:  It's beginning to make sense!  The 401K rollover to the IRA was a few years ago.  The 1099R is reporting the distribution from the IRA.  The 1099R did not calculate the taxable amount.  My local broker did this and gave me the 6.01% number to use to calculate the taxable  amount. ( this might not have been the after tax % of contributions . my error).    The IRA/SEPSimple box is checked.  Box 5 is 0.00     Still:  If I know the taxable amount how do I get Turbo to use it?
ljmason2

Directions were confusing.

Manage cookies