turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We received a US treasury check with no letter of explanation. It was in the amount of $4690.30. It did have to do with our taxes as it said that as a memo on our check. Has anyone had this happen?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

We received a US treasury check with no letter of explanation. It was in the amount of $4690.30. It did have to do with our taxes as it said that as a memo on our check. Has anyone had this happen?

It happens but it is certainly rare.  The treasury sends the check and the IRS should also send an explanation, but they arrive in different envelopes.  The IRS has probably credited you with more withholding, or they determined you qualified for a deduction or credit you didn't take.  I would wait until you get the explanation and have a chance to decide whether the IRS is correct or not before spending the money.  If the correcting the IRS made turns out not to be correct, you will return the money and find a way to correct your file with them.  We can help with advice on that once you know what the change was that resulted in this refund.

What year is it for?  It should say which year it is for. If you figure out what year it is for look at your return.  Maybe you left off a payment you made.

Did you file an amended return?  Those can take 16 weeks to send you a refund check.
ToniaD

I also received a check from the US Treasury with no letter or explanation.  I called the US treasure and they verified the check is valid but have to check with the IRS for more information.  Can't get through to a person to get any questions answered.  

Couple ideas to check....

Did you enter any 1099R?  If 1040 line 4a is a lot less than 4b (which should be ok) the IRS has been lowering the taxable amount on 4b and refunding you.  But then they will eventually want it back.

Did you make estimated payments and forget to enter them?

If you made estimated payments see if they are on line 17.  Sometimes they end up line 16 with witholding.  If that is the case the IRS will eventually see line 16 is wrong and ask for it back.

Today we received a valid check (per Treasury Check Verification System) without any explanation of why.  In the memo field area is typed, in capital letters, "FLET FRESNO 12/2019 TAX REFUND 30 INT $ 29.51".   The amount of check is $2529.51.    

I filed 2019 tax return timely and already got a refund direct deposit to our bank account sometime around 2020's normal timeframe.   I also have filed 2020 Tax report and it was accepted March 17, 2021.  I'm expecting that refund in April 2021.

How do I find out why  I got this check?  I thought 2019 business was done. For years I have been pleased with TTax and hoping you can help on this.  I saw a similar post but some time ago. 

Thanks, in advance, for shedding any light on this situation.  

@wolf1614 wrote:

Today we received a valid check (per Treasury Check Verification System) without any explanation of why.  In the memo field area is typed, in capital letters, "FLET FRESNO 12/2019 TAX REFUND 30 INT $ 29.51".   The amount of check is $2529.51.    

I filed 2019 tax return timely and already got a refund direct deposit to our bank account sometime around 2020's normal timeframe.   I also have filed 2020 Tax report and it was accepted March 17, 2021.  I'm expecting that refund in April 2021.

How do I find out why  I got this check?  I thought 2019 business was done. For years I have been pleased with TTax and hoping you can help on this.  I saw a similar post but some time ago. 

Thanks, in advance, for shedding any light on this situation.  

No one on this board has access to your financial information, and no one at Turbotax has any financial information after you transmit your tax return.  The IRS should send a letter of explanation, it comes from a different part of the government than the check and may take a couple weeks longer.  Or, you can try going online with the IRS and reviewing your account transcript and tax return transcript, to see what adjustments were made.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

It certainly sounds like you received an additional $2500 refund from your 2019 return, plus interest since it was paid to you late.  Why that refund was issued may be recorded in your tax transcripts.

nesm8303

This has help me a lot I just received a check with description  SERR KANSAS 12/2020 Tax Refund 30. To get the account transcription help me to verified that the IRS made the adjustment Code 291 Reduce or remove prior tax assessed. This comment was really helpful ! 

@auggiethedoggie  This is not a Chat Line.  Please post your question.

Yes! I received one also, and I don’t know why!

@tracycunn59  wrote:

Yes! I received one also, and I don’t know why!

Sign onto your IRS account for information on the amount received - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

@tracycunn59  - unfortuantely, the IRS sends the explanation about 7-10 days after they send the check..... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies