turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

[Tax Year 2019] Turbotax completed my form 8962 without knowing my total household income. It didn't ask many questions either. Is there a way i can fill out the form line by line?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

[Tax Year 2019] Turbotax completed my form 8962 without knowing my total household income. It didn't ask many questions either. Is there a way i can fill out the form line by line?

No, you cannot fill out the Form 8962 line by line in TurboTax Online.

Your form 8962 is completed in TurboTax Online when you complete the interview questions in the section at Federal>Deductions & Credits>Medical>Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A).

TurboTax asks you in the interview questions for the modified adjusted gross income (AGI) for your dependents (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2b). TurboTax already "knows" from the other information in your tax return your modified AGI (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2a) and the number of people in your "tax family" (Part I, Line 1).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

31 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot fill out the Form 8962 line by line in TurboTax Online.

Your form 8962 is completed in TurboTax Online when you complete the interview questions in the section at Federal>Deductions & Credits>Medical>Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A).

TurboTax asks you in the interview questions for the modified adjusted gross income (AGI) for your dependents (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2b). TurboTax already "knows" from the other information in your tax return your modified AGI (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2a) and the number of people in your "tax family" (Part I, Line 1).

Thats what i thought.

Thats how i did it last year.  For some reason this year, im not getting the interview questions.  I dont even see the Medical tab under deductions and credits.  Im going to go back over that section and see if i missed it.

Thank You.

Did you find where to enter the dependent's modified AGI.  I'm not seeing that and was not asked about when I entered the Form 1095-A information.

TurboTax asks you in the interview questions for the modified adjusted gross income (AGI) for your dependents (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2b).

I do not see this interview question regarding MAGI for my dependents. Can you help me locate it?

@davidwharris1657 wrote:

TurboTax asks you in the interview questions for the modified adjusted gross income (AGI) for your dependents (Form 8962, Part I, Line 2b).

I do not see this interview question regarding MAGI for my dependents. Can you help me locate it?

No, the program does not ask about a dependent's MAGI in the section for entering a Form 1095-A.

You only need to add the Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) (see below for detail) for dependents listed on this return who are required to file a tax return (excluding if they filed a return to only claim a full refund of taxes withheld or estimated taxes paid).

Is this your situation?

Yes this is my situation.  Where do I enter the dependents MAGI?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

After logging in to TurboTax Online:

• Select “Take me to my return”.
  • Click “Tax Tools” in the left menu column.
  • Select "Tools".
  • Click "Topics Search"
  • Type 8962.  When you should see the topic highlighted, click the "Go" button to begin the interview process.  You can review and/or edit any entries during this process.

The interview does not include any questions regarding total household income.  Got the desktop version which does have this question.  And it cost much less.  This is a program bug.

Turbotax Home and Business version, in section Federal>Deductions & Credits>Medical>Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) goes straight to a blank Form 1095-A.  There are no interview questions for MAGI or AGI for my dependents. When looking at forms, Form 8962, Line 2b is empty.

That is 100 % correct.

AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

Is it possible you are in Form View mode and you need to toggle over to "Step by Step" to see the questions appear?

dme3200

I also have the desktop version and the interview questions regarding modified adjusted gross income of dependents is not coming up.  I am in the Step by Step view, not Form View Mode.  Appears to be a bug in the program.

Go to Forms View/Form 8962.  Enter the total household income directly on Part I, Line 2b.

You are correct.  There is no interview question.

MMac
Level 2

Step by step mode does not ask any questions about the dependent MAGI. But a work around to solve this issue is to enter the dependent MAGI in the Forms view. The Federal Review didn't catch that the line 2b is empty either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies