Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tifflee07
Returning Member

[Tax Year 2019] Turbotax completed my form 8962 without knowing my total household income. It didn't ask many questions either. Is there a way i can fill out the form line by line?

How do you get to the forms view to enter your dependents AGI? Every other year it has asked me when I enter the info on my 1095-a and this year it isn't asking me. No matter what I try there is no where for me to enter it.

AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

[Tax Year 2019] Turbotax completed my form 8962 without knowing my total household income. It didn't ask many questions either. Is there a way i can fill out the form line by line?

Were you able to workaround the issue by entering the amount directly into the Form 8962 in Form View mode for Part I, Line 2b? @dme3200

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Are you going to fix the defect in the interview questions?  If you have not filled out this form in the past, you are going to file your taxes with a glaring error.  It passed all the error checks for me.

tifflee07
Returning Member

No I was not able to work around it. I was on the phone with a nice lady at turbo tax for a very long time and she was getting help from another person there as well. None of them could figure out how to fix this error. Apparently at this time the only way to input your dependents MAGI for the 1095a is to do it manually in forms view using the desktop version of turbo tax. I did get a call back and was told that "higher ups were looking into this situation and I would get an email back. I'm probably just going to file with H&R block because their online system is asking all the correct questions and who knows how long it will take to fix this glitch

tifflee07
Returning Member

I was on the phone with a very nice lady at turbo tax for a long time on Monday. She was getting help from someone else and they could not figure out how to fix this error. However, the person that was helping her said to tell me that turbo tax has a guarantee and to go ahead and file. I'm like no way am I going to file my taxes knowing they are not correct. I couldn't believe that person suggested that!  I did get a call back and the lady that was helping me said she finally got someone higher up to listen to her and they are looking into the glitch. Who knows how long it will take them to fix it. The bad thing is, is I have gone all the way through my taxes and passed all their reviews and am ready to file. If I was someone that didn't know that your dependents income is suppose to be included in the interview questions when doing the 1095a I would file my taxes and they would be wrong. I wonder how many people have files incorrect returns through turbo tax due to this glitch?

Tobster9

I was never asked about form 8962, filed now received letter from IRS to send it in!

Rickmag
Returning Member

I am having the same problem with Turbo tax Home and Business 2019. It does not ask for dependents income to use in calculating MAGI for the ACA or form 8962. Last year there was a tab that asked for dependents AGI who were on your ACA medical plan. It seems like this could be a problem if form 8962 line 2b is always zero.

@Rickmag wrote:

I am having the same problem with Turbo tax Home and Business 2019. It does not ask for dependents income to use in calculating MAGI for the ACA or form 8962. Last year there was a tab that asked for dependents AGI who were on your ACA medical plan. It seems like this could be a problem if form 8962 line 2b is always zero.

This is a known problem and should be corrected on 02/21/2020 with a software update.

Rickmag
Returning Member

I have the offline Turbotax Home and Business 2019. I am having the same problem. It does not ask for dependents income to use in calculating MAGI for the ACA that gets used on form 8962. Last year there was a tab that asked for dependents AGI who were on your ACA medical plan. It seems like this could be a problem if form 8962 line 2b is always zero.

@Rickmag wrote:

I have the offline Turbotax Home and Business 2019. I am having the same problem. It does not ask for dependents income to use in calculating MAGI for the ACA that gets used on form 8962. Last year there was a tab that asked for dependents AGI who were on your ACA medical plan. It seems like this could be a problem if form 8962 line 2b is always zero.

This is a known problem and should be corrected on 02/21/2020 with a software update.

I logged back into the online version of Turbotax and I still do not see any change on Form 8962.  I had read that this was a known issue and was being corrected with a software update.  I still have no way to enter my dependents MAGI.  Part II is not even showing up.

Do I need to start completely over?

@knealtaxes wrote:

I logged back into the online version of Turbotax and I still do not see any change on Form 8962.  I had read that this was a known issue and was being corrected with a software update.  I still have no way to enter my dependents MAGI.  Part II is not even showing up.

Do I need to start completely over?

If you have gone through the entry or edited the Form 1095-A and on the following screen after the form does not have a selection for entering a dependent's MAGI then delete the 1095-A and re-enter.  The software was updated so if you have a dependent entered on your tax return the option for the dependent's MAGI will be available.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

This change was implemented.  Please follow these instructions:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions & credits.
  • Scroll down to Medical.
  • Click on Show more.
  • Click on Start / Revisit to the right of Affordable Care Act (1095-A).
  • At the screen Let's get the info from your 1095-A form, enter the numbers from the paper form. 
  • Click Continue.
  • At the screen Let us know if these situations apply to you, you may need to click on I have at least one dependent on my taxes who's filing a separate return.
  • Enter value in the box to the right of What's your child's modified adjusted gross income (MAGI)?
msd0801
Returning Member

Hi, the problem with not being able to edit the 8962 is that the 1095-A is not always correct or complete and the IRS acknowledges that. In my case the 1095-A did not include a premium tax credit for Jan - Apr 2021, because the Biden recovery act did not pass and become effective until May. But I'm due the credit for the entire year. In my research I was directed to an IRS calculator at https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/#/ which recalculated the amounts for the Monthly SLCSP premium and instructed me to enter those amounts in Column B of Form 8962. Turbo Tax does not allow that so I had to alter the 1095-A, which IRS does not allow. To get the correct tax result and not alter the 1095-A, I need to change the Form 8962. Right now the only way is to alter the 1095-A which i snot supposed to be done.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Did you pay premiums to the Marketplace in January through April and not get the tax credit for January through April?  If you did not pay premiums to the Marketplace for those months, then you would not be eligible for the Premium Tax Credit for those months. 

If you did pay premiums, then you should have an amount in column A that you paid for the entire year.  If there is an underpayment of the Premium Tax Credit, and you are showing an amount in column A and B, then TurboTax will calculate the remaining credit that should be refunded to you.

If your 1095-A does not include all amounts you paid to the Marketplace, then you need to contact the Marketplace to get a corrected 1095-A.

If the only thing that is inaccurate on your 1095-A is the SLCSP then you can use Tax Tool and enter the correct information.  This is OK to do, it is the correct way to edit the information on the 8962. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies