turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dan__

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tried calling the IRS. No answer on any number or selection. Gov at its finest. I swear I should have stayed working for them. Do nothing all day and get a pension.

I have called the 800 number and tried the steps listed in this note multiple times.  I too get the ...due to high call volume, we are unable to answer your call...please try again another day.  I even have a direct number to an IRS agent for questions about my form, but she has not answered or returned my calls (I have called a dozen times and have left half a dozen messages).

trizkalla

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tried calling the IRS. No answer on any number or selection. Gov at its finest. I swear I should have stayed working for them. Do nothing all day and get a pension.

This no longer works.  The IRS system has wised up.  You will get a message at the end saying that they are have too many calls and to try another time.

@trizkalla wrote:

This no longer works.  The IRS system has wised up.  You will get a message at the end saying that they are have too many calls and to try another time.

I realize the following is anecdotal, but I have called a couple of times in the last few weeks using those steps, and found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:58 PM and go through those steps. I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time. And luckily, my hunch worked for me. Still had to wait about 25 minutes. 

That being said, while they are hard to reach on any given day, today April 18, 2022, is likely one of their busiest days of the year.

scoutsavannahmac
Returning Member

Is there a way to submit a question to the IRS (or the Local Taxpayer Advocate) via email or an online submission tool?  PS: thanks for the procedure for calling outlined below - I'll try that tomorrow at 7am (or maybe this afternoon)

Ashleycw

This should be illegal. They could work from home like unemployment. My refund is way over due. The online portal does not help what so ever. 

Rottnlove

While working for a company where I filed taxes for clients, any time the need arose that they needed to contact the IRS and speak to a real human on the other end I always passed on what I was taught in my taxes college class. Call the IRS 800 number and then answer anything you are prompted to enter a response always incorrectly, and the programs call centers use to queue, and route callers to specific "loops" (bucket umbrella type sorted subject" based on how each prompt is responded to dictates the path the call takes to be parked in the "on hold" queue until the choose your own adventure style automated program can interact with your call through any of the provided stops until the call is handed off to another choose your own adventure call loop". 

By intentionally answering incorrectly the adventure has no where to go with the call, like "if you are giving us money go to page 2" or "if you're wanting money  sent from us, go to page 295" and you answer "sparkly shiny things taste like the color 7 smells" the system hits a *what am I supposed to do with that, it's not even in this adventure book." and the system has the "doesn't use books or words for this library. And needs to talk to the Librarian".  It so happens that the  *librarian is human. 

Another manipulation of call center program manipulation is when the "quality control recording" is programed to move the call into a escalation loop when certain triggers are identified. The triggers can be out of the average level of volume like yelling or even swearing and cussing. This is only useful with non humans on the other side, for human on that side this is only useful for getting hung up on. 

CaptATA8

Let me guess...you're one of these red state **bleep** who wants the IRS to both answer every single call, but when you try to fund them flip out and suggest an army of auditors is coming for you and every Republican?

You can't have it both ways, genius.

CaptATA8

Talk to the Republican party who's been trying to starve the IRS of resources for decades, and see if they care.

This forum is not for political discussions.

Stemi5678

I have called using the call instructions and I'm getting placed on hold.  I was asked once if I wanted a callback, they never called back.  Can I send them a letter, directly stating my business along with the enclosed tax information?

@Stemi5678 wrote:

I have called using the call instructions and I'm getting placed on hold.  I was asked once if I wanted a callback, they never called back.  Can I send them a letter, directly stating my business along with the enclosed tax information?

No, the IRS will not accept any type of letter unless specifically requested by the IRS.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

I wrote a letter to my congressional rep. Their office put me in touch with an IRS advocate, but that was a bust. I wrote my rep AGAIN and it wasn't until then that I got my refund 18 months later and I never got my stim check for that year because they said I didn't file....which I did. Anyway, look for an IRS advocate in your state. 

@kandisnz   Which stimulus didn't you get?  #1 or 2 or 3?  If you didn't get the 3rd Stimulus check you claim it on your 2021 return on line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Did you have an amount on line 30?  It should be 1400 for each person on your return unless your income was too high.  

If you had the amount on line 30 but the IRS took it off it was because they show they already sent it to you.   They sent the 3rd Stimulus payment (1400 per person) starting in March 2021. Double check your bank statements and check your IRS account (both accounts if married) to see what they sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you didn't get the 3rd Stimulus check but the IRS shows they sent it to you then request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

I didn't get the 2019 stimulus because the status of my 2019 taxes was unknown. The IRS had them they just didn't get processed until 18 months later. I couldn't claim it on my 2020 taxes, because the ones from 2019 hadn't been processed yet. I got my 2020 refund before I ever saw my 2019 refund. So although I had filed my 2019 taxes they weren't processed in order for me to get the stim check. I've tried a couple of different times to get it, but no one knows the answer on how that would be accomplished. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies