turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I meet the requirements to take advantage of the "Rule of 55", can I delay until the year following my 55th birthday to start distributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I meet the requirements to take advantage of the "Rule of 55", can I delay until the year following my 55th birthday to start distributions?

The rule does not apply to an IRA withdrawal which remains at age 59 1/2 unless the withdrawal is eligible for an exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  See IRS Tax Topic - https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc557

The IRS Rule of 55 allows an employee who is laid off, fired, or who quits a job between the ages of 55 and 59 1/2 to pull money out of his 401(k) or 403(b) plan without penalty. This applies to workers who leave their jobs anytime during or after the year of their 55th birthdays.

If you are eligible you can withdraw funds from the 401(k) or 403(b) plan without the 10% early withdrawal penalty as long as withdrawal occurs during or after the year of your 55th birthday.

fd65

I took the money out while I was 54 but have filed an extension this year so I will be 55 before I file my taxes.  How do I reflect that in turbotax so the 10% penalty does not apply? Do I need to request an updated 1099-R?

It is not about when you file your tax return--it is about how old you were when you took the money out of the retirement account.  Having your birthday ahead of filing your tax return will have no effect on the early withdrawal penalty.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

In other words, fd65, the age-55 exception does not apply to this distribution.  Further, the age-55 exception does not apply to any distribution from your 401(k) or similar qualified retirement plan if you separated from service with the company before the year you reached age 55, as appears to be the case here.

Manage cookies