Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b1uedauby

On my return last year I stated that my husband had retired early, he did not. Do I have to ammend my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

On my return last year I stated that my husband had retired early, he did not. Do I have to ammend my return?

How or where did you state that?  For what?  That doesn't go on your tax return.   Were you entering a 1099R and said he retired to avoid the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty for a 401K distribution?

b1uedauby

My husband did retire and I did was not trying to avoid any such penalty. When you are in the military you can retire after 20 years, not considered an early retirement. My question was, do I have to do an ammendment for my mistake? Yes it was a 1099r form, which has to be submitted to the IRS.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends, but likely it will not be necessary to amend.  We can't see your return from last year, so you'll need to verify certain details.  Here's what I understand your question to be:  you believe that you stated that your husband retired early.  That in itself does not trigger any penalties.  There would be two cases where taxes would be affected:

1. You didn't include the form in your initial return at all (the Form 1099-R); or
  2. You received an early distribution penalty that should not have applied.  

The first situation is easy enough:  you either did or you did not include the form.  If you did not include it, you definitely need to amend the return.  The other situation occurs if his Form 1099-R has a code in Box 7 of "1".  That code number refers to an early retirement distribution subject to penalties for which no specific penalty exception is known to apply.  If the 1099-R does not have a code of "1" in Box 7, and you reported the form on your return, I don't see why you would need to amend last year's return.  But feel free to comment if this doesn't address your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies