Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

riodice
Returning Member

Can I attach a form 1099R to my return if I efile?

Suppose it concerns X-Pats working/living abroad and having foreign retirement funds with no Federal Identification number. Then you have a problem!  Turbotax will not allow you to e-file with no Federal Identification number on the 1099-R even though Turbotax does not include the 1099-s forms, only the substitute form 4852 which is all you need. 

Apparently, the software was not tested or written by foreign entities to save money with improper guidelines to tax rules.  So the software needs to have exceptions other than the standard, i.e. Foreign pension funds for those working/living/retired outside of the States.

riodice
Returning Member

additional info FYI

Suppose it concerns X-Pats working/living abroad and having foreign retirement funds with no Federal Identification number. Then you have a problem! Turbotax will not allow you to e-file with no Federal Identification Number on the 1099-R even though Turbotax does not include the 1099-s forms, only the substitute form 4852 which is all you need.

Apparently, the software was not tested or written by foreign entities to save money with improper guidelines to tax rules. So the software needs to have exceptions other than the standard, i.e. for Foreign pension funds for those working/living/retired outside of the States.

riodice
Returning Member

FYI

Suppose it concerns X-Pats working/living abroad and having foreign retirement funds with no Federal Identification number. Then you have a problem! Turbotax will not allow you to e-file with no Federal Identification Number on the 1099-R even though Turbotax does not include the 1099-s forms, only the substitute form 4852 which is all you need.

The 1099-R produced from form 4852 is a substitute form that one did not receive. However if one is filling in from abroad, outside of the US, then there is no Federal identifier Number to fill in on the 1099-R. So why is the Turbotax software not allowing e-File because the 1099-R has no Federal Identifier Number? Turbotax is not sending the 1099-R, only the 4852 forms, which is all you need, when filing with the IRS. Turbotax software makes no sense!

riodice
Returning Member

Please test the software for yourself before giving answers so you can see what the problem is

monampa1

This is the 3rd year in a row that I'm being asked to send my 1099-R.  I might as well just send my return by mail as I'd get it as soon as I have been getting it with this delay.

@monampa1 wrote:

This is the 3rd year in a row that I'm being asked to send my 1099-R.  I might as well just send my return by mail as I'd get it as soon as I have been getting it with this delay.

I have been filing a Form 1099-R for the past 20 years and have never been asked to mail the 1099-R, it has always been included in my e-filed tax return.

What is the message you receive?  Have you tried deleting the 1099-R and then enter manually?

monampa1

I have never send my 1099-R by mail or attached it since TurboTax doesn't ask me to do that. The first five years I was retired I didn't have a problem.  This is the 3rd in a row that they send me a letter saying they want it.  I think it's because I have taxes withheld from my retirement payment, but as I said, the first five years were the same.  Just very frustrating since I file early. Last year I faxed it in February as soon as I  received the letter with the rejection # that you have to include.  I re-faxed in March and still didn't get my direct deposit until the end of May. 

cmtn

I have already received a letter, for 2023 taxes, asking for a hard copy of my 1099R.  I sent it yesterday.   This is the third time they asked for it, and the second year in a row.  Last year I filed early and sent the 1099r hardcopy in as soon as they asked, and did not receive my refund until July.  Before I filed this year I looked around for another efile company that would allow me to include the 1099r as an attachment - couldn't find one, so used turbotax again.

monampa1

This is my 3rd in a row and it's sooooo frustrating!

Maybe you have been filing your returns before the company sent the 1099Rs to the IRS.   So they couldn't match them up.  

monampa1

I guess that's possible, but you'd think if TIAA sent it to me that they'd have sent it to the IRS as well.

and it's possible they haven't even worked your return yet; my TY22 was still unprocessed late in 2023.

cmtn

The same thing is happening this year.  I efiled my return with turbotax,  including the retirement income from the 1099R, which I received from my pension distributor.  I checked and doublechecked that it was correct.  A few weeks later I got a mailed letter from the IRS asking to send in my 1099R.  I immediately sent it and now my return is in the status "We apologize, but your return processing has been delayed beyond the normal timeframe. You can continue to check back here for the most up to date information regarding your refund. We understand your tax refund is very important and we are working to process your return as quickly as possible."  on Where's My Refund, which I check everyday.  Last year it took until the middle of July to receive my refund, and in the interim I had to take out a loan to pay my yearly property taxes, which is usually what I use the refund for.  I am hoping it doesn't take until July again, but there is no way of knowing.  When I call the IRS taxpayer assistance all they can do is verify that they received my mailed copy of the 1099R.  They can't give me any more information, including the reason I have to send in a hard copy.  It would seem like the IRS should know more, since they automatically took the taxes out of my pension every month throughout the year, and is the reason I am requesting a refund.  This is a failure of the system for retirees who live on their pension.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies