turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My probation officer told me that I can write my monthly payments off on taxes. how do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

My probation officer told me that I can write my monthly payments off on taxes. how do I do that?

Monthly payments for what exactly?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Probation monthly payments that go to the state for being on probation
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

That's most likely not true. What are the monthly payments for? If it's child support, you can't deduct that. If it's for a fine or other restitution, that's not deductible either. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had to fill out a pile of paperwork today for my parole officer.  It specifically stated to be sure to save receipts for parole fees because they can be used when filing state income taxes. However,  it did not state which category to claim the deduction. Many years ago I  filed taxes for an inmate on work-release. He was cut 25% of his gross income for his fees. He got a large refund on taxes which was great for his family.  When I  filed an amendment for previous years the deduction was disallowed. My assumption is that it gets left up to untrained individuals.  My argument is that it is a rehabilitation service same as drug or alcohol rehabilitation or other medical expenses.  Regardless of personal opinions fees regarding incarceration are an unequal burden on the individual and cause an additional burden on the families. This is a contributing factor in the success or failure of an already reduced employability.  

I highly recommended you read this... https://www.eitcoutreach.org/outreach-strategies/reentry/

Since this is a state only deduction then look for it in the state interview ...  for Alabama it seems to be a write in deduction so  does your paperwork tell you exactly how/where on the AL  Sch A this is a deduction ???  

https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/19f40bk.pdf

May I also suggest you call a local tax office in AL  and ask them where on the AL tax form this is addressed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies