Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is TT not processing the UCE tax credit of $10,200? I can't figure out how to make it work.

The software will take the 1099-G amount but then there is no way to apply the $10,200 credit. Suggetions?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Is TT not processing the UCE tax credit of $10,200? I can't figure out how to make it work.

TurboTax is waiting on further guidance from the IRS as things are being updated to handle this recent change. 

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more details and use the link in the article to register your email to be notified when everything is ready to go:

How do I claim the new unemployment benefits in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here’s a work around since Intuit seems to be incompetent this time.

Got to IRS.gov and search for ‘unemployment worksheet.’  You’ll find a page titled, “New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation."  I’d put the link here but this forum deletes all links.  Print that worksheet, fill it out, and save it with your records.

When you have the result, follow the worksheet directions and open your Form 1040, Schedule 1 in your tax return.  You’ll see that the Line 8 entry is ‘calculated,’ so you can’t change it.  Double click on that number field, which will open a worksheet with the same Line 8.  It’s calculated again, so double click on that number field again.  That takes you to a Schedule 1, Line 8 worksheet in the TT program.  Scroll to the bottom, Line 22, Other Taxable Income.  Enter your exclusion as a negative, like ‘-10,200.’  Type “UCE” on that line to explain the entry.  Hit Return to finish your entry.

Go back to your Form 1040 and you should now see the correct unemployment total in Line 8.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies