Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jawat1350

Is my social security disability taxable

need some help with ssa1099, on the back (notice 703) my total amount in item e is less than 32000.  where do i go from here

Forget the 703 on the back of the SSA-1099.  That can be complicated to fill out.  Just enter your SSA-1099 into Turbo Tax.  Enter the full amount in box 5.  Turbo Tax will calculate any taxable amount.

Enter a SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM or RRB-1099 under

Federal Taxes on the left side or top

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

Then the second line - Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Revisit button

2020 1040 line 6a is the gross Social Security amount and 6b is the taxable part of Social Security.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

tigerangel7
Returning Member

No, it is NOT complicated and I already sent Social Security a message to have Turbo Tax investigated for FRAUD regarding people who are disabled and collecting Social Security.  They verified that NO TAX was to be taken out and will be looking into why TURBO TAX taxed my husbands SS.  Tubo Tax also CHARGED me for doing my Taxes with them which was WRONG to do. 

how does turbo tax know it's SSDI and not SSI?

@liokepa wrote:

how does turbo tax know it's SSDI and not SSI?

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are to be entered on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI is not reported on a tax return.

You do not get a SSA-1099 for ssi.  ssi is not Social Security.  You only report a SSA-1099 for SSDI and Social Security.

A lot of times people say ssi when they are getting Social Security.  But ssi actually stands for supplemental security income.  It is different than SS.  You don't get a SSA-1099 for ssi and you do not report ssi on your tax return.

This is still rather confusing, I am trying to determine how Turbo Tax knows if the amount on the SSA-1099 is regular SS income or  Disability SS income. In my case, mine is regular SS income, while my wife's is disability SS income, we file jointly. Where in Turbo Tax do I let the program know about the disability aspect of my wife's income? I am using the CD/Download version of TT.

I failed to mention that I have additional income beyond SS and the total amount exceeds $32,000.

It doesn't matter what kind of Social Security it is.  It is taxed the same.   Just enter the SSA-1099.  You don't need to enter anything about your spouse being disabled unless to qualify for the child and dependent care credit.

@Charles218 wrote:

This is still rather confusing, I am trying to determine how Turbo Tax knows if the amount on the SSA-1099 is regular SS income or  Disability SS income. In my case, mine is regular SS income, while my wife's is disability SS income, we file jointly. Where in Turbo Tax do I let the program know about the disability aspect of my wife's income? I am using the CD/Download version of TT.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are to be entered on a federal tax return.  There is nothing on the tax return to differentiate between the types of SS benefits being received since it does not matter.

Okay, I understand that, thank you. So my understanding before was that half of my wife's SS Disability benefits was not taxable, it appears that is incorrect. Also, I had thought that there was some kind of sliding scale where you would only be taxed on SS amounts up to 85%. So my take on what you are saying is that for the purpose of entering the SSA forms data in TT, I am going to simply enter the amounts from both or our forms as listed in Box 5 with no other considerations.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies