Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

liar4003

I have Qualified Charitable Distributions from my IRA's RMD. where is that inputted into the tax forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I have Qualified Charitable Distributions from my IRA's RMD. where is that inputted into the tax forms?

You should have received a Form 1099-R for the distribution from your IRA. After you enter the information from the 1099-R into TurboTax, proceed through the interview. It will ask you a series of questions about the IRA distribution. If the 1099-R has distribution code 7 or 4 in box 7, the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is checked on the 1099-R, and you are over 70 1/2 years old, you will come to a screen that says "Transfer to Charity?" On that screen and the next, you will indicate how much of the distribution was sent to charities.

I first entered QCD's in 2018 when I was 72 by 12/31.   Now for 2020, my wife is 70.5 on Dec 24th....but no "transfer to charity" comes up in TT2020Deluxe.    The QCD is sizable so I really need to do this!  Can I force it somehow?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@DonInOR  It looks like this is one of the many things that have not yet been updated in the software for 2020. The early releases of the new software are very preliminary and need a lot of updating before they can be used to actually file a tax return. But you won't be able to file anyway until late January at the earliest. I'm sure the birth date cutoff for QCDs will be updated by then.

You didn't say whether you are using TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software. If you are using TurboTax Online there is no way to force it to ask about a QCD. You will just have to wait until TurboTax updates the software. If you are using the CD/Download software you can enter the QCD in forms mode. On the 1099-R for the IRA distribution, scroll down to the box that says "Qualified Charitable Distribution" and enter the amount of the QCD on that line.

I agree, it's not there and should be.

New RMD rules say that for a person turning 70.5 in 2020, her RMD's aren't required to start until age 72....BUT...QCD's are still allowed at age 70.5 for those folks.   (And even, then RMDs were not required for 2020 either)

Since this is somewhat new for 2020, ( i.e QCD at age 70.5, even if you are one of the age 72 people ) it is possible that the software hasn't been implemented for this new quirk.

Check back in Mid-January after several software updates have been implemented between now then....then re-edit her 1099-R for that IRA account....if still not there, then a talk with Customer Support may be needed....because they could have missed this subtle quirk as being lost somewhere in someone's pile of software updates needed.

You need to get that 1099-R in-hand first anyhow.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax developers have this section all messed up.  TurboTax is mistakenly treating 71-year-olds as being age 72 and TurboTax is not asking those over age 70½ but under age 71 at year end if the distribution was transferred to charity.  They seem to have the QCD age tied to RMD age when there is no such tie in the law.

As a temporary workaround for estimating purposes using the current release of TurboTax, you can indicate that your wife's year of birth was 1949 instead of 1950.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@DonInOR  If you change your wife's year of birth, as dmertz suggested, make sure your remember to change it back before you finish your tax return or try to file. I didn't suggest doing that because I was afraid you'd forget to change it back. If you try to e-file and her date of birth is wrong, your e-file will be rejected. I don't know whether having the wrong date of birth would cause any other problems.

Reply: I am using the TTDeluxe/download, fully updated to Dec 29.    I agree with another poster here and echoed by by Charles Schwab rep, the QCD stuff is not related in law to RMD details.    Software wise it would be boneheaded to hard code date stuff.   It should take the birthdate already entered in TT, add 6 months and compare to Dec 31 for calendar year filers.   (are there still fiscal year filers ?.... side issue).     Thanks all

dmertz
Level 15

With the CD/download version, just do the workaround a file separate from the one that you use to prepare the tax return that you will actually be filing.

The age-72 required beginning date for RMDs is new for 2020.  TurboTax developers tend to implement such changes in steps that result in bizarre behavior until everything is fully implemented rather than planning the changes in a way that produces coherent results upon release.

ssnfwlr

I have been through the 1099R input screens with turbotax agents 3 times and i do NOT get that question.  I am correct age, its code 7 and regular IRA.  This  is my last attempt before I use another software package.

ssnfwlr

This is still messed up and did not work when I tried to change my birthdate.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

@ssnfwlr You need to delete the 1099R and re-enter it.  I also would recommend clearing your browser cache and cookies.  After you delete the 1099R and begin to re-enter, make sure your age is set to at least 72 then correct when finished.

After you have logged in and are in your return in TurboTax Online:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form 1099-R in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the 1099-R input screens. 
  • There delete the 1099R in question by clicking on the trash can next to the form.
  • Log out of TurboTax, clear your browser cache and cookies, log back into TurboTax.
  • Then add a new 1099R and manually enter your 1099R.
  • You should see the QCD question on the Uncommon Situations screen.  Check that box and proceed.

To manually enter, at the financial services screens, click "Change how I enter my form" then "Type it myself"

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.  On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.  Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

[Edit: 02/16/21 5:32 PM]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies