turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have input my SSA-1099-R, but this won't allow me to also input my 1099-R from state retirement. Can I enter both?

Why can I not input both the SSA-1099-R and my state retirement 1099-R?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have input my SSA-1099-R, but this won't allow me to also input my 1099-R from state retirement. Can I enter both?

This did NOT help, because my 1099-R is not for a bank, or other such investment.  It's from Arizona State Retirement System, and your program keeps telling me that it doesn't recognize this.  It WANTS it to be a bank entity, but it isn't one, so it won't allow me to input it anywhere.  I've tried.  This is a difference from years past, because I've used Turbo Tax for something like 6 years, and I've had this pension for roughly three.  It worked last year, but it won't accept it this year.  

I'd like to stay with Turbo Tax, but I can't file my taxes without all of my income.  So help, please.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can enter both into your return, but they are entered in two different places.

The SSA-1099 is the form that reports your Social Security income.

The 1099-R reports income from a retirement plan (like a 401(k) plan) or from an IRA.

These have to be entered on separate screens so that TurboTax knows that they are different. They are taxed differently on both the federal and state level.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This did NOT help, because my 1099-R is not for a bank, or other such investment.  It's from Arizona State Retirement System, and your program keeps telling me that it doesn't recognize this.  It WANTS it to be a bank entity, but it isn't one, so it won't allow me to input it anywhere.  I've tried.  This is a difference from years past, because I've used Turbo Tax for something like 6 years, and I've had this pension for roughly three.  It worked last year, but it won't accept it this year.  

I'd like to stay with Turbo Tax, but I can't file my taxes without all of my income.  So help, please.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

To enter your AZ retirement, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Retirement Plans and Social Security section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to IRA, 4701(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).
  3. On the screen, Who gave you a 1099-R? click the first box, Financial institution or other provider (1099-R) and click Continue.  [See screenshot #1 below.]
  4. When entering your 1099-R from the AZ State Retirement System, be sure to enter AZ in Box 15 (State), even if there is no state withholding.  
  5. A few screens later, you will see Where is your distribution from?  Mark the first radio button to indicate this is an AZ state pension.  [See screenshot #2 below.]

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Manage cookies