turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mnpayer1

Wage and income - "your Income" Summary page lists income for 1099-NEC, I have entered data within the edit/add, but the summary show 0.00 for 2020. Is this a bug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Wage and income - "your Income" Summary page lists income for 1099-NEC, I have entered data within the edit/add, but the summary show 0.00 for 2020. Is this a bug?

Is this in relation to a Schedule C?

Currently there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C. 

Please review the article below and use the link in the article to enter your email address to be notified once this is resolved:  

TurboTax: Why Am I Unable to Link my 1099-NEC?

Also you can review the information below for a possible steps to solve the issue.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC
  5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return:

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”.
  4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed the below instruction s twice.    It did not correct the error either time.  My income summary screen still does not show 1099-NEC income.  Any suggestions?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

@DandyBort

TurboTax Premier does report the income on Schedule C, but it DOESN"T show the income entered on "Your 2020 Income Summary" page.   Even if expenses net off this income, the summary should correctly reflect the income entered.   

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Try reporting the income as received in the COMMON INCOME section for your Schedule C, but in the alternative section, Other self-employed income, includes 1099-K, cash, and checks. You can include a description of Form 1099-NEC if you wish.

dlandaeta

Is this the expert suggestion on how to fix this issue? I have already had my return rejected by the IRS due to the software "incorrectly linking income from form 1099-NEC to the wrong business". I cannot find that software bug, but I do see that the Income Summary Page does not show the 1099-NEC income. How can I trust this at all? Do I keep submitting and wait another week for another IRS rejection?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

This issue has been resolved.  Please see the link below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-link-my-1099-nec-to-my-spouse...

This issue has clearly still not been resolved.  

when i clicked the link i get "access denied".  please advise.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The sign up for updates on this is no longer available.  The problem was resolved with a previous update.  If you are still experiencing problems, see how to correct this below.

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be included on Schedule C. If you entered the 1099-NEC but did not complete the Schedule C, you will get this error. 

  

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps: 

  

1. Open TurboTax. 

2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner). 

3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find), 

4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC” 

5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link 

  

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one. 

  

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return. 

  

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return: 

  

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner). 

2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find). 

3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”. 

4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link 

  

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC.  

  

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.   

  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated.  

The solution provided does not work.  Will TurboTax be fixing this bug?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If your program is up to date, you should be able to delete your 1099NEC. Once you enter the business  and input your information, you should be able to add the 1099NEC inside the business income section.

You can fill this form out for someone to call you.

@davidgopal to clarify,  this is sch C, business related. If not, reply back with more information or let support call you.

thokaemu

I still have this problem. Actually, I just discovered it when I switched computers and my data changed without having made any changes in the data. 

If I follow the steps recommended, I don't get any "Jump to 1099-NEC" links. 

It seems like the information is correct in schedule C, but how do I know my return is correct now, if the SW has problems?

Thanks for a fast solution, please....

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If the income from your Form 1099-NEC is reported on your Schedule C, then do not worry about whether it is showing on your summary page.  It is normal for the Form 1099-NEC summary to show $0 if the income has been properly tied to a Schedule C or Schedule F.  

@thokaemu

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies