Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am working on my 2020 return and my wife received unemployment benefits of $8900 and paid taxes for both state and federal. there are no boxes to enter the taxes. Help

none of the answers help.  they are completely off base
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am working on my 2020 return and my wife received unemployment benefits of $8900 and paid taxes for both state and federal. there are no boxes to enter the taxes. Help

Are you entering her 1099G in the right place?   Maybe you picked the wrong kind of 1099G.  If you are in the right place for a 1099G for unemployment there are boxes for the tax withheld.

UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return. 

You will have to enter a 1099G that is issued by your state.

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

Enter your 1099G in Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully, making sure  to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
PattiF
Expert Alumni

The boxes to enter the withholding will come up if you check the box indicating that there was withholding from unemployment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Are you doing a 2020 return?   Are you using the Desktop program installed your computer?  Online is only good for 2021 now.

To enter withholding on Unemployment:

After you enter the Payer's name & address then on the next screen you select your state and enter the amount of Unemployment, there is a checkbox that says "Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment".  You have to check it for the withholding boxes to show up on the next screen.

For 2020 the federal income taxes withheld from the Form 1099-G will be included on the federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 25b.

Turbo Tax expert answer with screen shots of both Online and Desktop programs to enter withholding on unemployment

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/the-1099-g-form-has-a-box-for-federal-income...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies