turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am using TurboTax from IRS freeFile site, which says it supports the 1099-NEC. However, when I try to enter the 1099-NEC it redirects to the self-employment version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I am using TurboTax from IRS freeFile site, which says it supports the 1099-NEC. However, when I try to enter the 1099-NEC it redirects to the self-employment version?

You may be in the wrong product. 

Are you using this website for the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

https://freefile.intuit.com/

With your return open, what product edition is displayed in the top left corner near the TurboTax logo?

If you ended up in regular Free Edition or another wrong edition, we can tell you how to switch to the TurboTax IRS Free File Program without starting over, if you qualify to use that site.

Or does your income exceed the requirements for the TurboTax IRS Free File program?  Here are the requirements.  You need to meet ONE of these:

• Your 2020 household AGI is $39,000 or less; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • In 2020, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $72,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

You need to upgrade if you want to claim any self-employment expenses.

@ SweetieJeawrote:

You need to upgrade if you want to claim any self-employment expenses.

User says he's using TurboTax from the "IRS Free File site" (or at least he thinks), but we don't know yet if user is in the right or wrong product.   If user is in the TurboTax IRS Free File Program product, it should be able to handle Schedule C with expenses if he/she mets all the other requirements.   But it sounds like he may be in regular Online TurboTax instead. 

ADDENDUM:  See my next comment below.  Looks like user was using Online Premier 2 weeks ago.  So user has some explaining to do.

@ Tokyo-taxpayer 

Two weeks ago you asked a question in this forum that looks like you were using Online Premier.  So what's the deal with that?   Are you currently using Online Premier???    If so, that is NOT the IRS Free File Program.  And as SweetieJean mentioned,  Online Premier cannot handle a Schedule C if there are any expenses.

@ Trying to use the free one for my kids.

Yes, IRS free file version.  On the IRS website Turbotax says it accepts 1099-NEC.  My kid has $1,000 of NEC income, no expenses.  Still tries to push me over to the self-employed version.

@ Tokyo-taxpayer wrote:

Yes, IRS free file version.  On the IRS website Turbotax says it accepts 1099-NEC.  My kid has $1,000 of NEC income, no expenses.  Still tries to push me over to the self-employed version.

So I assume you are preparing a separate return for your child.   The TurboTax IRS Free File Program does not have any upgrades.  So I'm still not convinced yet that you are in the correct product.

The TurboTax IRS Free File Program should be able to handle a 1099-NEC (with or without expenses), but the regular Online Free Edition cannot.   Is the child's 2020 AGI $39,000 or less?

When a return is open, here's an image of what is displayed for regular Free Edition.   What is displayed in your upper left corner after you open the return?

FreeEditionlogo.png

I opened from the link on the IRS website, so I presume I got the IRS version.  But when I tried to input the 1099-NEC, it brought up the “you need to upgrade”.  But I found the FreeTax USA app linked for the IRS supports 1099-NEC (and Schedule C expenses), so I didn’t pursue it further.

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Here is the correct link for IRS Free File delivered by TurboTax.  It is not the same product as TurboTax Free FIle.  

The product will handle all individual tax situations if your income is under $39,000.

Ada5

Is there a Schedule C option on TurboTax from IRS freeFile site?

I qualify to use the free file, I'm sure I'm on the right site (Turbo Tax IRS Free File, entered through the IRS site) -- it comes up in the URL as https://us-east-2.turbotaxonline.intuit.com/ etc.

I put in my 1099-NEC but it won't give me a Schedule C option!

Thank you!

@Ada5 wrote:

I qualify to use the free file, I'm sure I'm on the right site (Turbo Tax IRS Free File, entered through the IRS site) -- it comes up in the URL as https://us-east-2.turbotaxonline.intuit.com/ etc.

Thank you!

Schedule C is included in the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax edition.

Are you sure you accessed the correct website - https://freefile.intuit.com/

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, Free File contains all forms and schedules.   

To switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax:

1. Sign out of your existing TurboTax account.
  2. Go to the IRS Free File delivered by TurboTax website and sign in to your same account from there.
  3. Select Yes, switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax when asked, and Continue.

Note: If you've already paid for or filed your return you won't be able to switch to the IRS Free File Product delivered by TurboTax for that year.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ Ada5 wrote:

Thank you!

That URL you posted looks like one for regular Online TurboTax, so I suspect you may not be in the correct edition.  The TurboTax IRS Free File Program can indeed handle Schedule C, but you have to meet one of the qualifications to use that product (I'll post qualifications below.)

Open your return and check what product you are using this way:

With the return fully open look up in the upper left corner near the TurboTax icon.  Does it say Free Edition or IRS Free File Program?

If you are in regular Free Edition by mistake, we can tell you how to switch to the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax in the same account without having to start over.

[ADDENDUM:

Actually I see that @DawnC already left you the switching instructions in her comment above.  We were typing at the same time.  😊]

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2020 AGI is $39,000 or less (if filing jointly MFJ, this figure is for the AGI of both spouses combined.)  ; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • In 2020, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $72,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies