turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mjmh

How do you enter a qualified charitable distribution in Turbo Tax? I have looked a prior answers which don't match up with how the 1099-R form works. Please help.

I have made qualified charitable distributions from my IRA.  The system does not ask me if I have those types of distributions even though I have checked the box for IRA/SEP/Simple.  I don't know how to enter the qualified amount so that it reduces the taxable amount of my distributions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

66 Replies

How do you enter a qualified charitable distribution in Turbo Tax? I have looked a prior answers which don't match up with how the 1099-R form works. Please help.

Be sure to run a software update.
dmertz
Level 15

If you are the IRA participant, for TurboTax to ask if any portion of your distribution was transferred to charity, your birthdate entered into TurboTax must indicate that you were at least age 70½ by the end of the tax year, the Form 1099-R must have code 7, and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box must be marked.

If you are the beneficiary of the IRA of a deceased individual and the Form 1099-R has code 4 with the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked, in addition to your birthdate indicating that you were age 70½ or older at the end of the tax year, TurboTax incorrectly requires that you indicate that the deceased participant would have reached age 70½ by the end of the tax year as well.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The questions in the screen shots that Critter#2 posted come after you click Continue on the screen where you enter the 1099-R information. As Critter#2 said, you have to continue through the interview screen by screen. The screen that asks whether you transferred any of the distribution to charity doesn't say "QCD," but that's what it's about. If you answer that you transferred part of the distribution to charity, the next screen will ask you how much was transferred to charity. The next screen after that will tell you that the amount you specified is designated as a QCD. That last confirmation screen is the only place that you will actually see the term QCD.

I beg to differ ... you may wish to delete the 1099-R and enter it again .... if you indicated it was an IRA distribution and you are over the age of 70.5 then the following screens about RMD & QCD  do appear in the interview if you continue screen by screen ...

bobreil

My situation is a bit different. I am just filling out the 1099-R worksheet (not using the interview). I fill in the worksheet right from the source 1099-R. I put in the QCD amount and put $0 taxable but it shows as pink (error). How do I clear the pink error?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

To clear the pink error put $1 into the box as the taxable amount. By doing this your tax will not change and it should clear the error.

@bobreil 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It is advisable to follow the question and answer process in TurboTax, it will usually save you time in the long run and insure that your information is processed properly.

PlamFrond

Likely my bad but this gave me a problem.  I transferred ALL of my RMD to charity.  Your post got me to it being accepted as a QCD.  Later screen asked for required amount of RMD and how much I actually received.  My thinking was since I had the entire amount sent directly to the charity I received $0.  Wrong.  For entry, I "received" the entire amount even though I never got any of it.  Guess I took the question too literally.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

@PlamFrond

The IRS advises thus:

To report a qualified charitable distribution on your Form 1040 tax return, you generally report the full amount of the charitable distribution on the line for IRA distributions. On the line for the taxable amount, enter zero if the full amount was a qualified charitable distribution. Enter "QCD" next to this line

The program will need the amount to put as the full amount before it can record the non-taxable amount.

bergiejk

I received a 1099-R from Fidelity for a QDR.  Box 2a shows the full amount of $2500 as taxable.  How do I post to TurboTax to ensure I am not taxed on that amount?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

After you enter the 1099-R information, you must continue and you will see the screen below- this is where you can add the QCD information.  

@bergiejk

abcxyz

how do I enter qualified charitable distributions in Turbo Tax?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

As you enter your 1099R information into your TurboTax return, you should come to a screen that says; here you can indicate if you transferred to charity and if the transfer was for the entire or partial amount.

colemanje

turbo tax  interview questions do not ask me how much of my Ben IRA RMD I donated to charity. What do I do now?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies