turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I correct entering the wrong contribution to a roth ira? How do I cancel them trying to make me upgrade?

Entered roth401k contributions in error. Already started over. Still giving me tax credit and making me upgrade to deluxe edition.  Can't file. What do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I correct entering the wrong contribution to a roth ira? How do I cancel them trying to make me upgrade?

Either one might make you eligible for the Retirement Saving s Contribution Credit (RSCC).

IF the credit is so small it doesn't offset the cost of the upgrade, then go thru the RSCC interview on the Deductions&Credits page, and in that part of the interview, indicate you were a student during 2019.

Of course, there may be something else you need to enter that also requires an upgrade...then you can redo the RSCC questions later and reset it since you'll have to pay to file anyhow for otehr reasons (Unless you were actually a college student during 2019)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

A Roth 401(k) contribution would only be entered as part of your W-2, you would not enter it separately. Is that the problem? You mistakenly entered it as a separate contribution?

If your AGI is $69K or less you could use one of the 10 FREE FILE options on the IRS website ... if your AGI is less than $36K then you can switch to the TT  FREE FILE option and your progress will be transferred ... you must link in thru the IRS site here :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies