turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has the bug in 2018 turbotax online been fixed as to calculating IRA rollovers correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Has the bug in 2018 turbotax online been fixed as to calculating IRA rollovers correctly?

The fact the line 4b has $145 more than the amount shown in box 1 of the Form 1099-R associated with the rollover suggests that you have also entered another Form 1099-R that is contributing to the total on line 4b.  Take a look and the TurboTax's 1099-R Summary in the pdf of all forms and worksheets.

I agree with macuser_22 that there are no known problems with TurboTax handling the reporting of rollovers.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

What bug?  I know of no bug in calculation rollovers.

For a rollover there is really nothing to calculate - it's either a non-taxable rollover of it is not and that is determined by the box 7 code and/or the answers to the interview questions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

l spoke with TurboTax last night and they were working on it.  If you rollover a portion of a distribution and enter that portion in the program (online), it was not removing the portion from your taxable income.  

Distribution from what type of account?   To what type of account?  What code is in box 7 on your 1099-R?

Rollovers do not remove taxable income, they simply do not add it in box 4b on the 1040 form.  What exactally are you entering and what do you see that is wrong.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@midtner wrote:

program (online),

BTW: TurboTax online and e-file is now closed (other than for re sending returns that were filed prior to Oct 15 and was rejected by the IRS).  2018 can now only be filed on paper using the CD/download software.

Got it, but I am trying to amend and it is still having the same problem. Guess I will call again.

Exactly what is the problem?  What did you enter?  What do you see that is wrong?

BTW:  If you are looking at the income *summary* screen then that only shows the *gross* box 1 amount since it *is* income (otherwise you would not report it on an income tax return), it just is not taxable income and should not be on line 4b on the 1040 form should have the word ROLLOVER next to it.    It is supposed to be on the income summary screen.

The 1040 form includes inaccurately the entire distribution as taxable income, even though I entered the amount of the partial rollover in the program. Unfortunately I have filed that way and now need to amend to correct the amount which was not taxable.

Again - what code is in box 7 on your 1099-R?

What is in box 2a?

is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked?

Are you trying to roll into a Roth account?

I can't you without knowing what you are entering.

Again - what code is in box 7 on your 1099-R?  7

What is in box 2a? THE AMOUNT OF THE GROSS DISTRIBUTION

is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked? YES

Are you trying to roll into a Roth account? NO

All info has been entered into the online program correctly including the amount of the rollover, but when the 1040 finalized the entire distribution was included in taxable income with the amount of the rollover disregarded.  I have tried using the AMEND online but even if 2a is left blank, no change occurs in taxable income.  The program is not functioning properly.  Unless TurboTax fixes it, I guess I will have to amend by hand on paper.  I phoned them last night and they said the fix was 'pending' and to check back. That is why I asked if anyone knew status. There IS a problem (not mine) and they have apparently not fixed it.

and 2A says Taxable amt not determined

I don't see any problem.

Here are my results with a 2018 1099-R for a $10,000 distribution with $4,000 rolled over.

The total box 1 amount of $10,000 is on the 1040 line 4a and the taxable amount of $6,000 is on the 1040 line 4b just as it should be with the word ROLLOVER next to it that indicates the difference ($4,000) was rolled over. 

What do you see that is different?

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 1.28.49 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-10-16 at 1.29.41 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-10-16 at 1.30.26 PM.jpg?

I suggest that you delete the 1099-R and re-enter.

4a on 1040 has the total amount of the distribution, 4b has the total amount of the distribution plus $145 (who knows why), and the word ROLLOVER next to it. However the $4000 rollover entered into the program is not calculated out.  Someone from Turbotax is working on it.

I deleted and re-entered the 1099

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies