turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8915-f for Qualified Disaster Distribution isn't being generated, Turbo Tax says its available and I'm answering that there was a COVID distribution but no form.

the form was supposed to be updated today, 3/24/22, but nothing seems to be generated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-f for Qualified Disaster Distribution isn't being generated, Turbo Tax says its available and I'm answering that there was a COVID distribution but no form.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to your account. 
  2. Select Federal Taxes.
  3. Go to wages and Income 
  4. Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  5. Select Start/Revisit next to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  6. Answer No to the question Did you get a 1099-R in 2021?
  7. Answer Yes Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?
  8. Answer Yes Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?
  9. On the next screen enter the information from your 2020 Form 8915E.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you--I've done all of your recommended steps to a "T" and even after having filled in the info from the 8915-e, it doesnt generate a 8915-f.  That's the issue. 

@capitolgirl wrote:

Thank you--I've done all of your recommended steps to a "T" and even after having filled in the info from the 8915-e, it doesnt generate a 8915-f.  That's the issue. 

If you entered the information in the Retirement Income of the program the Form 8915-F will be included in the list of forms, schedules and worksheets when you are in Forms mode.  Click on Forms if you are using one of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions

In the Retirement Income section -

If you had a Covid-19 related distribution in 2020 and selected to spread the distribution over 3 years -

Answer No when asked if you received a Form 1099-R in 2021, if you did not receive the form

Answer Yes when asked if you took a disaster distribution

Answer Yes when asked if you took a Qualified 2020 Disaster Distribution

Check the box that this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020

2020 Form 8915E, line 4, column b - Enter a 0

If the 2020 distribution was from an account that was Not an IRA

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 - Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

If the 2020 distribution was from an IRA account

2020 Form 8915E Line 17 -  Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 17

The 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution will be entered on the 2021 Form 1040 Line 4b if from an IRA or on Line 5b if from a retirement plan other than an IRA

I did all of that and nothing shows up on either one of those lines.

In the final tax return review, TT asks users to return to the line item asking for a FEMA number/description for a COVID withdrawal. This is obviously a glitch since it’s supposed to be blank, but users are unnecessarily concerned and devising different ways of getting around it. In my case, I hit the space bar twice. Please correct the glitch ASAP. Some who have entered a name and went ahead to efile are worried IRS will audit them or something.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS Form 8915-F information can be entered at the screen Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?  I was able to report Qualified 2020 Disaster Distributions from Part II and Part III from the 2020 8915-E by following these steps.

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income / Retirement Plans and Social Security / IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right.
  • At the screen Did you receive any 1099-R forms? select No.
  • At the screen Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?, Click Yes.
  • At the screen Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?, enter 8915F and 8915E information.

I also reported that:

• I did not repay any 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution in 2021.
  • I did not report a disaster distribution in 2017, 2018 or 2019.

You may view the distributions on the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return at Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040.  You may view Form 8915-F at Tax Tools / Print Center / Print, save or preview this year's return / Include government and TurboTax worksheets.

Form 8915-F Part II distributions may be found on line 5b of the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return.  The distribution is not reflected in box 5a.  See entries for Part II of Form 8915-F on lines 12, 13 and 15.

Form 8915-F Part III distributions may be found on line 4b of the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return.  The distribution is not reflected in box 4a.  See entries for Part III of Form 8915-F on lines 23, 24 and 26.

@Dstonejr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed all the steps. TurboTax is not adding an update to line 5b on my 2021 1040. It is not attaching a form 8915-f. E-file seems to be handling this amendment much better than TurboTax. I purchased the 2021 TurboTax Premier in order to download the tentative tax file. Can I get a refund? I can't file an incomplete tax form.

I have done all that and I was told by another user to say "no" when asked is you need to report 1/3 of a distribution taken under the cares act which does take care of the revisit the 1099-r section but I don't think I'm getting the 10% penalty free option of it. Im being charged a lot??

@shaunaegt wrote:

I have done all that and I was told by another user to say "no" when asked is you need to report 1/3 of a distribution taken under the cares act which does take care of the revisit the 1099-r section but I don't think I'm getting the 10% penalty free option of it. Im being charged a lot??

You cannot be charged a 10% early withdrawal penalty if you did not have a retirement plan distribution in 2021 and did not enter a 2021 Form 1099-R on your 2021 tax return.

The 2nd year of the 2020 distribution amount is entered on your tax return as ordinary income and taxed at your current tax rate.

All the federal taxes withheld on the 2020 distribution were entered on the 2020 tax return as a tax payment.  They were included in your 2020 federal tax refund.

The taxes withheld on the 2020 distribution cannot be spread over 3 years, only the distribution was eligible to be spread over 3 years.

@Dstonejr

I get the same result as you. I also went back and retraced my steps to make sure I answered everything like

@JamesG1 suggested.  Did you actually file your return this way or are you just suggesting these are the steps? Curious if anyone has actually gotten it to work properly.

I may just have to force the 1/3 onto my return my typing it into the form. 

@Cunniff302 wrote:

@Dstonejr

I get the same result as you. I also went back and retraced my steps to make sure I answered everything like

@JamesG1 suggested.  Did you actually file your return this way or are you just suggesting these are the steps? Curious if anyone has actually gotten it to work properly.

I may just have to force the 1/3 onto my return my typing it into the form. 

You must enter the amount of the 2nd distribution in both boxes as shown in this procedure for the amount to be entered on the 2021 tax return Form 1040 Line 4b or 5b as taxable income -

You must go to the Retirement Income section of the program for a Form 1099-R to be able to enter your 2nd year of the 2020 distribution -

Click on Federal

Click on Wages & Income

Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click on the Start or Revisit button

On the screen Did you get a 1099-R in 2021? Click on NO, if you did not receive a 2021 Form 1099-R

If you had a Covid-19 related distribution in 2020 and selected to spread the distribution over 3 years -

Answer Yes when asked Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?

Answer Yes when asked if you took a Qualified 2020 Disaster Distribution

Check the box that this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020

In the box 2020 Form 8915-E, line 4, column b - Leave blank or enter a 0

This is not required on a Form 8915-F for a Coronavirus-related distribution

If the 2020 distribution was from an account that was Not an IRA

Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

2020 Form 8915E, line 9, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 

If the 2020 distribution was from an IRA account

Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 17

2020 Form 8915E, line 17, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0

2020 Form 8915E Line 17 

Do not enter anything in the other boxes, leave them blank (empty)

The 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution will be entered on the 2021 Form 1040 Line 4b if from an IRA or on Line 5b if from a retirement plan other than an IRA

After completing the Wages & Income section you will land on a screen Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020?

Answer NO since you have already completed the entering the 1/3 of the 2020 distribution.

You can view your Form 1040 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Using the desktop editions click on Forms.  Open the Form 1040

NOTE - During Federal Review you may get a notice to check an entry.  Clicking Check Entries takes you to the Check This Entry screen showing a box for entering a FEMA Disaster name.  Put your cursor in the box (click in the box) and then click on the spacebar.  Click on Continue  On the following screen Run Smart Check Again click on Done.

The Form 8915-F you completed already has the box for the Coronavirus checked on Item D of the form.

As stated on the Form 8915-F -

If your disaster is the coronavirus, check this box ▶ Don’t list the coronavirus in item C.

Finally worked. The below question was the culprit. I left it blank when I should have entered the 1/3 amount.

It is a little confusing.

2020 Form 8915E, line 9, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0

Instead of an $800 refund, I have taxes due of $4255.

Thanks

Great thread and one thing that I would like to add is that it is best to complete this COVID distribution process BEFORE entering the other 1099Rs (if received) in 2021.

Aufan

Did you get your problem solved? I’m having the same issues with turbo tax and it’s very frustrating. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies