turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My W-2 incorrectly lists $2,250 of taxable income for tuition reimbursement which should have been classified as a non-taxable fringe benefit. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My W-2 incorrectly lists $2,250 of taxable income for tuition reimbursement which should have been classified as a non-taxable fringe benefit. How do I fix this?

If you believe the employer prepared your W-2 incorrectly you have to talk to the employer.  The W-2 you have is the one the employer reported to the IRS so you cannot change it yourself.  if something is wrong, the employer can provide a corrected W-2 called a W-2C.  Do not e-file until you sort this out with the employer.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

10 Replies

If you believe the employer prepared your W-2 incorrectly you have to talk to the employer.  The W-2 you have is the one the employer reported to the IRS so you cannot change it yourself.  if something is wrong, the employer can provide a corrected W-2 called a W-2C.  Do not e-file until you sort this out with the employer.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I contacted my employer and they stated that I filled out the IRS tuition reimbursement questionnaire incorrectly which caused the taxes to be assessed.  The HR representative that I spoke with said that they cannot change the answers to my IRS questionnaire and mentioned that I need to work with a tax professional in order to sort this out.

What would be the next step in this case?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, your best option is to see if you qualify for tone of the Education Credits or Tuition deduction.  Since the money is now taxed, you can use it for these.  

@nickfuzer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yoonh
Returning Member

Hi! @nickfuzer were you able to fix this problem?

I'm in the same situation, my HR told me they can't fix the answer so I had to pay all the taxex for this year (almost 10K!) Trying to figure out how to get tax refund for this. 

I'd appreciate your answer and update!

Assuming you are correct in your assessment of the situation, you need a revised tax return Form 1040 that shows the correct results, including attached forms and schedules.

you also need a copy of the tax return you filed with its attached forms and schedules.

Use Form 1040-X to submit new or changed information on an already submitted tax return.

yoonh
Returning Member

@fanfare Hi, thanks for the reply.

This happened this year, 2021 so haven't file the tax return yet. Trying to figure out what to do when I file the tax return next year! 

How can the nonexistent W-2 for 2021 possibly be incorrect ?   Have the employer report the non taxable tuition correctly to begin with ... talk to them now. 

This is what happens when you piggy-back on an old thread (same situation) with no details of your own,

but your situation is really not the same.

Confusion.

yoonh
Returning Member

@fanfare I just couldn't find information about this. i know every case is different. thanks for the reply tho

@Critter-3 I just wanted to be prepared if they don't fix this year and get the incorrect w-2 form. thanks

BE PROACTIVE ... the employer should explain what is taxable and non taxable and how it will or will not be reported on the W-2 form next January.  It is better it is done correctly to begin with instead of scrambling later to fix it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies