turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My checking account was debited for $590 on 04/18/2016 by IRS USATAXPYMT after $590 was paid by a cashier check on 03/16/2016. Miriam [remove name]

My checking account was compromised because the extra auto withdrawal was not expected and 5 personal checks bounced costing me an extra $140.

Please help me get my refund from the IRS Tax Payment service.

Miriam [remove all personal information]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My checking account was debited for $590 on 04/18/2016 by IRS USATAXPYMT after $590 was paid by a cashier check on 03/16/2016. Miriam [remove name]

Turbotax cannot intervene with the IRS on this. You must contact the IRS yourself, although it it likely that they will return the duplicate payment to you at some point.

Why did you enter your banking account info if you mailed them a cashier's check?

Did you get any notices in the mail from the IRS stating they over paid you? The only way they would take out money is if there is a discrepancy in the amount of money coming back to you. 

How much was your return supposed to be? When you say you were paid by a cashier check, what do you mean? Do you mean the check which comes from the IRS? With printed information on the check? 

I would call or write them to clear this up, it sounds like an error on their end. Unless you were not due a refund and they made a mistake. 

Hope this helps.

The IRS did not pay her.  She sent the IRS a check and the IRS electronically took a payment out of her bank account.  So she ended up paying the tax due twice.
NeilP1234

Same happened to me and they did 4 different pulls. In the meantime, I sent checks.

Today I get a letter form the IRS that I owe and it seems to be the amounts of the electronic withdrawals TurboTax allowed the IRS to do.

In my opinion, it is a problem with TurboTax not making it clear that they are allowing the IRS to pull directly from my account.

And before you ask why I gave my account info, be aware that you save my account info from year-to-year and I have always had a refund on previous years.

Ok ... when you set up direct debit payments and/or request a payment plan with direct debit payments not only does this information show up on the screen where you have to agree to it before you can continue but on the filing instruction pages in the PDF.    So if you did not read the fine print at that time the same information is on the filing instruction pages that print with the return.   Save a PDF to see the instructions. 

Now if the IRS is not showing your payments you made then review the receipt from the online payments ... did you accidentally say they were for 2018 or 2020 instead of 2019? 

And if you have proof of the payments made simply send copies of the proof back with the bill to contest the balance due and penalties/interest.  Follow the notice instructions carefully. 

And what do you mean they did 4 different pulls?  They only pull the full amount once.  You sent in checks?  Did you send it with a 1040 V voucher or were they with the 1040 ES estimated slips?  The 1040ES are prepayments for NEXT year 2020.  So be sure to enter them into your return manually next year to get credit for them.  

New this year ... payment plans cannot be set up thru TT ... see the screenshots ...

payment plan .jpgpayment plan set up.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies