turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kurt110

KPERS retirement income not excluded from Kansas return?

TT is not excluding KPERS retirement income from the State K-40 return. The income was entered per a 1099-R. Why isn't KPERS being excluded from the Modifications to Kansas income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Edit the KPERS 1099-R in the federal section again...

.......then on one of the followup pages after you continue after the maim 1099-R form page (Where Is This Distribution From? ) make sure the KPERS source is selected  (picture below)

ANNND..the Kansas distribution amount is not a zero....it is the same as box 2a of the 1099-R (or the federally-taxable amount calculated from box 1, if box 2a is empty).   

That distribution amount is what would be subtracted from KS income....dependent on what the selection was at the top of the page....so if you made the KPERS selection, and then incorrectly put a zero in the "Kansas Distribution Amount"...then a zero is subtracted from KS income.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Kurt110

TT does not present me with the screen Where is the Distribution From and both box 1 and 2a contain the correct dollar amount (not zero).  Now what?

And you indicated that you live in Kansas?...or do you live in another state...(or maybe moved to another state in 2018 ?)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Kurt110

I live in Kansas
Kurt110

I am using the Windows Home and Business version of TT

Edit the KPERs 1099-R in the Federal section again....(Personal Taxes? on H&B...wherever the 1099-R interview is)

Down in boxes 12,13,14   box 13 has KS and a "payers" number, but nothing in 12 or 14?

Make sure you are using the Interview...do not try any of this in Forms Mode...won't work  (And I'm using Online software...so I can't see if the Desktop interview matches exactly or not)

box 14 can either be empty, or will be back-filled with the box 2a value...even if it's empty on your paper 1099-R.

1)  Down below that click on the "Continue" button
2)  next page...it is NOT an IRA so "No, the box is blank"  and "Continue"
3) next page Yes or No to the Public Safety Officer ad "Continue"
4) IF "No" to #3, this next page is the one I'm talking about and my picture: "Where Is This Distribution From?"

IF box 14 was blank on the main page the KS distribution amount will be box 2a, and will back-fill box 14 if it was empty before.  ...then continue carefully thru the rest of the interview.
MAgm14wd
Returning Member

I have the sane question, and cannot get a response from TT

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Start by deleting the 1099-R and try re-entering the data.  As SteamTrain mentioned above, after you enter the information, the follow on questions will first be about boxes 7 and 8, and then "Public Safety Officer," followed by "Where is this distribution from?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies