turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it required to file a paper return if you have a 1099-R or can you file electronically? If I e-file, do I have to mail a copy of the 1099-R to the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Is it required to file a paper return if you have a 1099-R or can you file electronically? If I e-file, do I have to mail a copy of the 1099-R to the IRS?

If you e-file the 2020 tax return a paper copy of your tax forms such as a W-2 or Form 1099 is not required to be mailed.

Enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

jjsink76

@DoninGA  Your reply is a bunch of bullcrap! Apparently TurboTax does NOT include the 1099-R or SSA-1099 federal tax withheld amounts when e-filing, even though they are correctly entered during the Turbo Tax income area qustions.

I e-filed my simple 1040-SR return for 2020 via TurboTax on March 5, 2021.  Later that night I got an e-mail from TurboTax indicating it was received and accepted by IRS.  Since then I've been checking refund status with same "still processing" result.

On April 26, 2021 I received a letter from IRS stating they needed a copy of the information to support the  1099-R and other federal taxes withheld data.  I returned a copy of their letter and copies of 1099-R (from 401K) and SSA-1099 forms showing the federal taxes withheld.  I sent that back to IRS on April 26, 2021 via certified mail. The IRS received it on April 29, 2021.  Still checking "where's my refund" almost every day since then and get the same "Your tax return is still being processed" status.  It's been almost 3 months since I e-filed my return!  Why didn't TurboTax give the IRS all the numbers.  Their "e-file and receive your refund in 3 to 6 weeks" promise is a bunch of bologna!  I've used TurboTax (Deluxe) for all my taxes since April of 2012. Give me one good reason why I should use TurboTax again next year.

@jjsink76 So TurboTax is also using BS - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/print-and-file/help/do-i-need-to-mail-anything-after-i-ve-e-filed/...

Since 10's of millions of tax returns are e-filed annually without the need to send any type of tax form with the e-filed return where is the BS?

On rare occasions the IRS will ask for the actual form from the taxpayer.  This is usually caused by the payer either not providing the form to the IRS or the form provided is incomplete.  It may also be a security check from the IRS if identity theft is suspected.

@jjsink76 If you enter the 1099-R in the 1099-R interview or SSA-1099 in the SS interview and enter the 1099-R box 4 Federal tax withheld and SSA-1099 box 6 those will go on the 1040 form line 25b to offset your total tax liability.

You do not send the forms to the IRS when e-filing unless the IRS requests them later as they sometimes randomly do as a verification. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It looks like now that I have several 1099-R forms with Copy B required to be attached to my tax form, I will have to mail in a paper, and not use e-file. Looking at IRS form it says "Authorized IRS e-file Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to the receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer." Unfortunately, Turbo Tax does not have an attachment or upload option for Copy B of 1099-R.

@LB641 wrote:

It looks like now that I have several 1099-R forms with Copy B required to be attached to my tax form, I will have to mail in a paper, and not use e-file. Looking at IRS form it says "Authorized IRS e-file Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to the receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer." Unfortunately, Turbo Tax does not have an attachment or upload option for Copy B of 1099-R.

When you e-file NOTHING is required to be attached.   That is only for paper file.    If the IRS wants a copy then they will ask for it with a letter.   The requirement for paid e-file providers to have the forms has nothing to do with attaching them - it is just to be sure the provider has all the information available to file an accurate return and do not work from pay stubs or other records.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

"Authorized IRS e-file Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to the receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer."

this means, if you go to a brick and mortar tax place, like Walmart, you have to bring those forms with you and hand them to the person entering your data.

Sheesh.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies