mxp2620

IRS Not sending Refund after 21 days. Its March 4th and no refund yet. Is anyone facing a similar situation?

IRS Accepted my refund on the 11th/12th, but have yet to see anything approved. I check the IRS refund status link frequently and it has moved from the 3 bars, where it says "Accepted" "Approved" and "Refund Sent" to 

"A refund date will be provided when available"

That is norimal. The IRS is backlogged. In fact, they received 35 million returns the first week they were open.

mxp2620

Ok thank you! Did not know if something was off on my side, sounds like just a lot of people filing at once

heilfamily

My return was filed 2/28/2021.  It's April 14 and still no refund.  TurboTax shows it was accepted, but doesn't show the date.  Where can I find my IRS accepted date for the return?  (Since it's been over a month, my previous e-mails have been purged, so I don't have the e-mail from the Electronic Filing Center...Sorry. 😣)

SamS1

Could be number of reasons for refund delays, especially this year. Generally it is due to dependent verification, refund offset, or information mismatch. You can get a free transcript of your return to review of any holds or codes. Click here to get your free online transcript.

Did you have unemployment benefits. So to not have to process thousands of amended returns, if you had unemployment benefits the IRS could be holding your return for processing once their systems are updated for the American Rescue Plan Act that excludes the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits if your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000.   

If you have earned income credit and/or additional child tax credit, it is probably delayed. Returns with either of these credits are covered under the PATH act, which gives the IRS authority to delay the refund to verify dependent information on your return. For 2020, the IRS was not issuing refunds for these returns until the 1st week of March. 

Do you have any refund offsets such as back taxes, student loans, child support, state obligations (Court costs), etc. This could delay your refund and you will receive a letter indicating the change.

If you answered the stimulus questions incorrectly, this will delay your refund. If you claimed the Recovery Rebate credit on your return, the IRS is matching stimulus payments to returns with the Recovery Rebate credit. If there is a mismatch, you will be receiving a letter.

Keep checking IRS.gov "Where's my Refund" for the most up to date information.

Check here also for more information on refund delays.

heilfamily

Thanks for the information about the transcript.  After obtaining it, the Account Transcript indicates "Return not present for this account" and the Wage and Income transcript says "No record of return filed".  The "where's my refund" site shows "Your tax return is still being processed."  My spouse's return, which was filed also using TurboTax Deluxe within 10 minutes of my mine, shows data.  I really don't know what to do now.  Can anyone suggest anything?  I've tried calling the IRS, but I just get recorded information with the same information as the "Where's my refund" link on the site.  HELP!!

The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  In addition, the Where's My Refund site has been erratic and unreliable.  But if TT told you that the IRS Accepted your efiling for processing, then the government has it.  (Approved is a later step, but TT receives no further updates once a return is Accepted.)  Unfortunately, contacting the IRS will not speed things up.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some for 8 weeks or longer), so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

Why Tax Refunds Are Taking Longer Than Usual (forbes.com)

Called the IRS lately? Agency struggles to hire customer service reps despite pandemic unemployment ...

heilfamily

Thanks to all for the info.  I'll just sit back for awhile and test my patience.  🙂