turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Not sending Refund after 21 days. Its March 4th and no refund yet. Is anyone facing a similar situation?

IRS Accepted my refund on the 11th/12th, but have yet to see anything approved. I check the IRS refund status link frequently and it has moved from the 3 bars, where it says "Accepted" "Approved" and "Refund Sent" to 

"A refund date will be provided when available"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

IRS Not sending Refund after 21 days. Its March 4th and no refund yet. Is anyone facing a similar situation?

That is norimal. The IRS is backlogged. In fact, they received 35 million returns the first week they were open.

Ok thank you! Did not know if something was off on my side, sounds like just a lot of people filing at once

heilfamily
Returning Member

My return was filed 2/28/2021.  It's April 14 and still no refund.  TurboTax shows it was accepted, but doesn't show the date.  Where can I find my IRS accepted date for the return?  (Since it's been over a month, my previous e-mails have been purged, so I don't have the e-mail from the Electronic Filing Center...Sorry. 😣)

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Could be number of reasons for refund delays, especially this year. Generally it is due to dependent verification, refund offset, or information mismatch. You can get a free transcript of your return to review of any holds or codes. Click here to get your free online transcript.

Did you have unemployment benefits. So to not have to process thousands of amended returns, if you had unemployment benefits the IRS could be holding your return for processing once their systems are updated for the American Rescue Plan Act that excludes the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits if your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000.   

If you have earned income credit and/or additional child tax credit, it is probably delayed. Returns with either of these credits are covered under the PATH act, which gives the IRS authority to delay the refund to verify dependent information on your return. For 2020, the IRS was not issuing refunds for these returns until the 1st week of March. 

Do you have any refund offsets such as back taxes, student loans, child support, state obligations (Court costs), etc. This could delay your refund and you will receive a letter indicating the change.

If you answered the stimulus questions incorrectly, this will delay your refund. If you claimed the Recovery Rebate credit on your return, the IRS is matching stimulus payments to returns with the Recovery Rebate credit. If there is a mismatch, you will be receiving a letter.

Keep checking IRS.gov "Where's my Refund" for the most up to date information.

Check here also for more information on refund delays.

heilfamily
Returning Member

Thanks for the information about the transcript.  After obtaining it, the Account Transcript indicates "Return not present for this account" and the Wage and Income transcript says "No record of return filed".  The "where's my refund" site shows "Your tax return is still being processed."  My spouse's return, which was filed also using TurboTax Deluxe within 10 minutes of my mine, shows data.  I really don't know what to do now.  Can anyone suggest anything?  I've tried calling the IRS, but I just get recorded information with the same information as the "Where's my refund" link on the site.  HELP!!

The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  In addition, the Where's My Refund site has been erratic and unreliable.  But if TT told you that the IRS Accepted your efiling for processing, then the government has it.  (Approved is a later step, but TT receives no further updates once a return is Accepted.)  Unfortunately, contacting the IRS will not speed things up.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some for 8 weeks or longer), so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

Why Tax Refunds Are Taking Longer Than Usual (forbes.com)

Called the IRS lately? Agency struggles to hire customer service reps despite pandemic unemployment ...

heilfamily
Returning Member

Thanks to all for the info.  I'll just sit back for awhile and test my patience.  🙂 

No refund per irs why?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@user298569677  We don't have access to your records in this public forum. For more information on why you did not receive a refund from the IRS it would be necessary to contact them directly. Please visit the link below for contact information.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Alab3

Yes, I filed March 11 th and it was accepted on the 11 th. Still no refund. It said the date filed was wrong or the IRS hasn’t accepted it. But they did on the 12 th.

jim123451

the irs thinks my wife patricia passed away in 2021 and i sent them verication that she passed jan 17th 2022 and still no refund can you help?jim montaglione

@jim123451 TT cannot intercede with the IRS on your behalf. The govt is very backlogged, so please be patient.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies