turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ali-g1

If I gift $50,000 to my fiancé towards a downpayment on a house, will I get taxed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If I gift $50,000 to my fiancé towards a downpayment on a house, will I get taxed?

NO. But you are required to file a gift tax return if the amount gifted is more than $14K in any one tax year. If this is your fiancé whom you intend to marry, then why bother gifting it? The two of you just buy the house together with both of your names on the mortgage, and on the title. That way, you avoid all this gift tax filing mess.  Note that TurboTax does not handle or deal with gift tax returns.  You'll have to seek outside professional help for that.

ali-g1

Thank you. I am currently in between jobs so I was advised to not put my name on the loan, but I do have my name on the title.
Carl
Level 15

If your fiancé will qualify for a loan without you as a co-signer, then why would she not if you are a co-signer? If their income alone qualifies them for the loan, then having your name on the loan also will not hurt a thing. If you're unemployed it won't help. But it definitely will not hurt since you are the one providing the down payment.
You need to talk with a loan officer that knows what they're doing and has their act together. I say this because my own mother was in the banking industry for 30 plus years and that's why I suspect whoever is advising you is looking out solely for their own interest, and couldn't care less about yours. Seek the advice of multiple loan officers from multiple lenders.  The best four words in your vocabulary are "SHOW ME IN WRITING" if they start this crap about "Well, the law says....."  Also, there is a difference between "law" and "lender rules & requirements". The law is the same across all lenders. But while their own rules and regulations may dictate different requirements, those rules and regulations MUST be within the requirements of the law. There are federal lending laws, and state lending laws. So be aware of that.

You're unemployed, but are still able to gift $50,000?  Obviously you have assets that the lender should count.
ali-g1

Fortunately, I was able to get on the loan as I have zero debt. As a teacher seeking a new job in a new state/district, I will be considered unemployed after this current school year ends, as I am not able to supply the lender with a new contract at this time. The new challenge we are facing now is if my fiance's income alone and his debts will suffice for approval.

A co signer can effect loan in many ways. With no income, any debt the cosigner has will negatively impact DTI.

FYI - This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

Manage cookies