turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I prepare tax returns for six of my family members. I am retired and do not charge them for preparing the returns. I prepare about 6 returns.

I'm a retired EA but would still like to take care of family only.  What is the limit of returns I can prepare and can they be efiled as well?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I prepare tax returns for six of my family members. I am retired and do not charge them for preparing the returns. I prepare about 6 returns.

With TurboTax Online you can only prepare one return in each account. You have to use a separate account for each return. You can only have 5 accounts with the same email address.

To prepare multiple returns you should use the CD/Download TurboTax software that you install on your Windows or Mac computer. You can prepare as many returns as you want. The IRS allows you to e-file a maximum of 5 federal returns and the associated state returns. You would have to file a 6th return by mail.

If you are accustomed to professional tax software, you will also be much happier with the CD/Download software. It allows you to see the forms while you are working on the return, it has features to easily trace the supporting form, schedule, or worksheet for an entry, and has other capabilities that are not in TurboTax Online.

View solution in original post

@johnalletto1 wrote:

I used pro series when I was working as a preparer.  If I understand your answer the CD has more info than the download.  I don't have a cd on my new computer.  I would like to see the forms to make entries also.. If you think it's worth it, I will buy a separate CD hardware for the pc.  Thanks for the quick response.  

The Download is the best option as it includes all the latest updates at the time of purchase.  The CD is only the beta version of the software.  After install of the CD you still have to update the program.  There will be many updates of the software during the tax year so you should not try and file until late February or sometime in March.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Using the TurboTax desktop editions you get 5 free federal e-files (number set by IRS rules).  The state e-files have a charge of $19.99 if e-filed before March 1.  The prices increases to $24.99 after March 1.  To avoid the state e-file charge you can print and mail the state returns.  Any federal tax returns over the 5 e-files can only be printed and mailed - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Using the TurboTax online editions there is no charge to e-file a return, federal or state.   However, only one return can be completed and filed using the online editions per account.  To complete and file more than one return using the online editions you must create a new User ID for each new account - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

With TurboTax Online you can only prepare one return in each account. You have to use a separate account for each return. You can only have 5 accounts with the same email address.

To prepare multiple returns you should use the CD/Download TurboTax software that you install on your Windows or Mac computer. You can prepare as many returns as you want. The IRS allows you to e-file a maximum of 5 federal returns and the associated state returns. You would have to file a 6th return by mail.

If you are accustomed to professional tax software, you will also be much happier with the CD/Download software. It allows you to see the forms while you are working on the return, it has features to easily trace the supporting form, schedule, or worksheet for an entry, and has other capabilities that are not in TurboTax Online.

To get more than 5 efiles in the Desktop program, maybe someone has a simple return and you can use the Online Free Edition which free to efile federal and state but is very limited.

I would like to thank you for the quick response. I made the purchase right after reading your answers.

I used pro series when I was working as a preparer.  If I understand your answer the CD has more info than the download.  I don't have a cd on my new computer.  I would like to see the forms to make entries also.. If you think it's worth it, I will buy a separate CD hardware for the pc.  Thanks for the quick response.  

Thank you Donna

No the Download is the same as the CD.  Those are the Desktop programs.  There is also a web Online version you don't install on your computer.    So yes buy the Desktop program as a download.  You have to pick the Windows or Mac download.  The CD has both Windows and Mac on it.  

Oh if you bought the CD you can download it instead.  How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

@johnalletto1 wrote:

The Download is the best option as it includes all the latest updates at the time of purchase.  The CD is only the beta version of the software.  After install of the CD you still have to update the program.  There will be many updates of the software during the tax year so you should not try and file until late February or sometime in March.

@johnalletto1 wrote:

The CD and download are the same software - just two ways to get it.   The Online version is different.

The IRS limits to 5 e-files based on email address, IP address, etc.   A 2nd CD on a diffident computer at the same location or the same e-mail will still be 5 e-files total.

[And BTW it is DoninGA as in Don in Georgia ]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you Donna.  I used to use Pro Series when I was working and this is pretty close.  I had trouble with the installation on my laptop last year so I had to use a competitors software and was totally dissatisfied.  I bought a new computer and the download should work.

Again thank you!!!! 

@macuser_22 Thanks...😀

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@johnalletto1 wrote:

I used pro series when I was working as a preparer.

If you used ProSeries you will find that the TurboTax download software looks very familiar. It's very similar to ProSeries, but without the additional features that professionals need.

FYI ... although you can see the forms in the downloaded version all entries really need to be made in the step by step mode ... making entries in the FORMS mode will void the accuracy guarantee and may keep you from efiling the return.  Also for any returns that are real simple like a child/dependent then just use the TT free online version instead or any of the IRS FREE FILE options available in January : https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

Once you have filed shut off the auto updater function and save the return and .taxfile.

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

*** Other clues to the downloaded program ***

In the forms mode ... double click  or right click on a box on a form to data source it ... sadly it doesn't work on all boxes. 

What's the meaning of all the different colors in Forms Mode?

When you look at an onscreen tax form using Forms Mode, you might wonder why one figure is blue and the one next to it is red or black.

These colors indicate the source of that data.

Color

Meaning

Blue

You entered this data, either in the interview or Forms Mode.

Black

The program entered this data or calculated this amount.

Red

This data has either been overridden or is invalid (for example, a ZIP code that doesn't exist).

Red italics

You marked this amount as estimated.

Black italics

The program calculated this amount from an amount you marked as estimated.

Purple

This information has supporting details.

Aquamarine

This data was transferred over from last year.

Green

This data was imported from Quicken or QuickBooks.

Yellow fields (Windows)

Yellow fields allow user input. Anything you enter here shows up in blue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies