turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been retired for 10 years, how do I continue without a W2?

If I am retired, how do I continue to file without a W2?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

When you land on the screen that asks for a W-2 say that you do not have a W-2.   Then enter whatever other income you have received----did you receive Social Security?   Pension income?   Did you take any money out of a retirement account?   What kind of income do you need to enter?

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

To enter your retirement income, Go to Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA 401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You do not have to enter a W-2.  You can skip (hit cancel, or back, or continue to the next section) the W-2 income section and move to the next section or go directly to the section you need.   I will leave the instructions below on how to enter retirement and/or social security income.    Are you sure you are required to file an income tax return this year or are you filing for another reason?   If you only have social security income, you probably do not need to file a tax return, but the link above will help to clarify that.  If you are still unsure, please comment back.  

Where do I enter my 1099-R?  You will get these if you take money from a retirement account, such as an IRA.

Where do I enter an SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, or SSA-1099-R-OP1?   You will get this from Social Security Administration for the social security income that you received in 2020.  

Also, it looks like you are registered with TurboTax Full-Service?   You don't need to enter anything into TurboTax if you are using Full-Service since you are paying for a TurboTax Tax Expert to file your return on your behalf.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies