turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Penalizing my IRA to Roth IRA conversion. Why?

In 2018, I had Schwab convert $44,000 from my Traditional IRA to my Roth IRA. Schwab filed a 1099-R for the conversion. A total of $4,400 (10%) was sent to IRS and $440 sent to State as withholding tax, making a total of $39,160 converted into the Roth IRA.

But Turbo Tax is calling this an "Excess Contribution" for 2018, and says the IRS will levy severe fines for this conversion. What am I missing? The 1099-R form has been uploaded successfully into TurboTax. I followed the step-by-step instructions. But TurboTax doesn't know that this $39,160 was a conversion.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Please make sure you only entered the information in the 1099-R income section and not in the contribution section (Deduction & Credits). 

Please be aware that a conversion from Traditional to Roth IRA will result in the taxable income unless you had non-deductible contributions in the trad. IRA.

To enter the 1099-R distribution/conversion: 

1. Click "Personal Income" on the top
  2. Click "I'll choose what to work on"
  3. Scroll down and click "Start" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan (1099-R)
  4. Answer "Yes" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?"
  5. Click "I'll Type it Myself"
  6. Choose "Form 1099-R, Withdrawal of Money from 401(k) Retirement Plans, Pensions, IRAs, etc."
  7. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  8. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  9. Then choose “did a combination of rolling over, converting or cashing out.”
  10. Enter "$39,160" in "Amount converted to Roth IRA account"

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What is the code in box 7 of the 1099-R you received?

First code = 7
Second code = blank
IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box = checked

I should add that line B4 shows $44,000 and line B6 shows $39,160
Carl
Level 15

The code 7 indicates that you were of retirement age at the time of the withdrawal transaction. Therefor no early withdrawal penalties would be assessed.
On an IRA the custodian is not required to withhold taxes (not one penny) unless you specifically requested it with something like a W-4 you may have filled out at some time in the past for this account.
The $4,840 was not converted, since it was sent to the IRS and state, and that amount "is" taxable income on your 2018 return. So unless you personally made up the difference with money out of your pocket, you have a $39.160 conversion that "is" taxable income, and the $4,840 paid to the state and IRS is also taxable income.
So the entire $44K is taxable income on your 2018 tax return, and take note that will increase your AGI for the tax year, potentially putting you into a higher tax bracket.
Now, based on my experience, correcting an already entered 1099-R doesn't work for whatever reason. It just makes things worse. So you need to delete the 1099-R. Work through the 1099-R section and after you delete it, continue working it through until you get to a screen with a DONE button on it. Your deletion doesn't "stick" until you click that DONE button.
Now re-enter the 1099-R anew making sure you enter it perfect the first time. Then it's vitally important you pay attention to the screens that will follow the 1099-R data entry screen so that you make the correct selections.
As a reminder (mainly for others reading this) a ROTH IRA is funded with "AFTER" tax money. So when you convert a Traditional IRA to a ROTH IRA, every penny of the converted amount is taxable income in the tax year the conversion takes place.

Carl, thanks for that! I'm 62, not retired, and I fully expected to pay tax on the conversion amount ($44,000). But TurboTax is telling me that the IRS will assess a 6% -penalty- PER YEAR (penalty, not tax) on the Roth deposit over $6,500. It's called an "excess contribution penalty." How can I tell TurboTax / IRS that this isn't an "excess contribution" but rather a "IRA to Roth conversion?"  
Carl
Level 15

I had the same issue. I complained about this to TTX, and was basically blown off and ignored. I've since "heard" they fixed it, but apparently not I guess. To "fix" it so I could e-file, I left the simple/SEP box unchecked, and that did it.

did you click Update ? the update report say this was fixed.
DanaB
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Please make sure you only entered the information in the 1099-R income section and not in the contribution section (Deduction & Credits). 

Please be aware that a conversion from Traditional to Roth IRA will result in the taxable income unless you had non-deductible contributions in the trad. IRA.

To enter the 1099-R distribution/conversion: 

1. Click "Personal Income" on the top
  2. Click "I'll choose what to work on"
  3. Scroll down and click "Start" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan (1099-R)
  4. Answer "Yes" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?"
  5. Click "I'll Type it Myself"
  6. Choose "Form 1099-R, Withdrawal of Money from 401(k) Retirement Plans, Pensions, IRAs, etc."
  7. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  8. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  9. Then choose “did a combination of rolling over, converting or cashing out.”
  10. Enter "$39,160" in "Amount converted to Roth IRA account"

Which version of TurboTax to purchase (Deluxe, Premier, etc).

I have Traditional 401k converted into Roth 401k and also few stocks purchase and sold.

Please guide.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If you are using online software, you may start in the Free version if you wish.  That way, if your situation requires a paid version of TurboTax, you will be prompted and then can be upgraded to the proper version of the program. 

If using desktop software, any version Deluxe and above is capable of handling all personal tax return situations.  However, Premier and Home and Business provide advantages for those who are involved with stock trades or have their own business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
richbiel23
Returning Member

I am having the same issue.  I converted $45,000 from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.  I expected to pay the taxes, but Turbo Tax is telling me that I owe 6% on the excess over the annual contribution limit of $6,000, which is $39,000, thus the penalty I have to pay is $2,340.  This is not a contribution, but rather a conversion.  Why does Turbo Tax continue to say I owe the penalty?  I don't want to file my taxes until this is corrected.  What can I do?   Please help!!

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@richbiel23  You have entered your conversion incorrectly, and the program is calculating out the contribution as if it were a direct (and mostly disallowed) contribution rather than a completely allowed conversion.  Follow the instructions in this link:  Roth IRA Conversion instructions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AThiker

for the problem when TT shows Penalty for Tradition IRA to Roth IRA conversion, explanation is provided to only enter information to the INCOME side and nothing is to be entered into the DEDUCTION side. However, the problem is created by entering information on the DEDUCTION side and no guidance is provided how to remove the wrongly entered information. I have since found out how to remove the information from the DEDUCTION side. The steps are to down to the RETIREMENT AND INVESTMENTS / Traditional & Roth IRA Contributions, press UPDATE, on the new screen remove check marks from boxes for Traditional IRA and from Roth IRA, and then check the box for None of the above; then click Continue.

hung05
Returning Member

I am confused.

There is a guidance I found to enter the IRA conversion to Roth by going to "Deduction and Income" Tab.

And here saying I guess using "Retirement and Social Security" make more sense but I want to make sure. I am converting $35,000 from IRA to Roth this year 2023 and using TurboTax Deluxe as last 10+ yrs. Please help which Tab is correct? And the guidance from Daniel on top is good?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies