turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

debnum

I had early withdrawal on a 401-k paid the taxes and now I am pay more taxes. Why am I paying more in taxes? Is it 20% instead of 10%?

I'm taking a withdrawal this year do i put that on my taxes for last year? Even though it's 2017

Anita01

I had early withdrawal on a 401-k paid the taxes and now I am pay more taxes. Why am I paying more in taxes? Is it 20% instead of 10%?

No, debnum, you'll receive a 1099-R for 2017 showing the distribution and you'll enter it in your 2017 tax return, next year.

My wife took out under 30k and subtracted 8k and they took out the 20% and still IRS asking for money!!! Now they are asking for us to pay 11k back to the IRS. This is stupid and another reason taxes suck.

She had 8k withheld,  along with another 20%, which is 6k and you still owe 11k?

There must have been a lot of other taxable income without sufficient withholding for that to happen.

Similar to unemployment, when they suggest how much you should withhold, this suggestion will almost never be accurate.  There is no exact science because they have no idea about the remainder of your household income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies