johnc19440

How do i get rid of error message on Payer Federal ID number on 1099 R since no number exists because its a Canadian pension payer ?

need US  Federal payer number for  1099 R pension distribution  but  pension is  paid  by  Canadian pension fund they only  issue Canadian T4as. In 2016  tax year used  99-9999999 but doesn't  work this year. Help!

johnc19440

just found  out  by  dumb luck that 99-0999999 works to eliminate  the  error in 2017 return

johnc19440

reg-dora

Thanks John-I prefer the 1099s for the info & the 0 did the trick for 2018. This should be the recommended answer for this type of question.
David0816

I ran into the same problem today, but involving a UK entity with no Federal ID number.  Strictly following the IRS recommendation would result in simply leaving Box 6 blank, but the Turbotax software will not allow that to happen.  Most frustrating.  However, I tried entering the number 99-0999999 as previously recommended on this thread and I am happy to report that it worked and the e-file went through.  While I am extremely grateful to the person who suggested this work-around, I find it unacceptable that this problem has been around for a number of years without being fixed by Turbotax.  So guys, hope you are reading these threads and sort this one out before next year rolls around.

David0816

Many thanks for your solution John - helped keep my blood pressure under control today.

pmgallagher

The 99-0999999 gambit seems to work for 2021 returns reporting UK pension income.  The 99-9999999 that TurboTax suggests doesn't work and apparently hasn't worked for years.  

This 99-0999999 thing is one example I came across.  The other example was going round and round with some 1099-MISC income we had that TurboTax insisted must be a new line of self-employment business.  Eventually resolved by inaccurately characterizing it as a manufacturer's incentive.