turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mannik388

Hello, I have on my W-2 form that on box 15-17 I have two rows with the same state but different amounts. Does that affect e-filing at the end?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello, I have on my W-2 form that on box 15-17 I have two rows with the same state but different amounts. Does that affect e-filing at the end?

If it is the Oregon Statewide Transit tax, then just the tax part belongs in box 14 of your W-2 and you should not put anything for that particular tax in boxes 15-to-17.  Only the one line for your normal state income and withholding taxes.

IF..if there are two entries for the transit tax in box 14

1)  For the lower $$ amount use the ORSTT W/H  (the W/H actually stands for WithHolding)

2)  For the larger amount....those are wages...my personal opinion is that they should not be listed at all...but for those select "Other not on above list".

( For desktop users there is no "OR STT W/H' category selection . Instead, the desktop software has  "Oregon Statewide Transit Tax" ....so it is there)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Did you enter each row separately?  There is a +Add another Row right below.  
mannik388

I have yes, but when I try to e-file it doesn't let me.

What's the message?  You would need to enter the same info for boxes 15 & 16 on each line.
mannik388

It tells me that I cannot e-file it and to fix those issues. Pretty much in box 15 I have two rows with the exact same information (same state and employer ID number on each line), but on boxes 16 and 17 the amounts are not the same on each row. When I try to e-file it, it sends me back and tells me to fix the error.

I'm thinking this is for Oregon right?

At this point I can't figure out if your W-2 provider is putting things on improper lines, or whether that is correct but TTX needs to modify their software for the new Transportation tax...but I'm thinking the employer is putting it in the wrong place...this may  take some research.

Please what exactly are in 15, 16, and 17 in each row you show, including the state ID number (if there)?
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

If it is the Oregon Statewide Transit tax, then just the tax part belongs in box 14 of your W-2 and you should not put anything for that particular tax in boxes 15-to-17.  Only the one line for your normal state income and withholding taxes.

IF..if there are two entries for the transit tax in box 14

1)  For the lower $$ amount use the ORSTT W/H  (the W/H actually stands for WithHolding)

2)  For the larger amount....those are wages...my personal opinion is that they should not be listed at all...but for those select "Other not on above list".

( For desktop users there is no "OR STT W/H' category selection . Instead, the desktop software has  "Oregon Statewide Transit Tax" ....so it is there)

I Looked around...it appears that the Oregon transit tax portion is supposed to be in box 14 of your W-2 form, so your employer likely issued an improper W-2 form...need to go back and talk to them about issuing a corrected W-2.

In 2018 Oregon issued this advice:

"W-2s and iWire filing

Where does the new statewide transit tax get reported on the Form W-2?

?There isn't currently a requirement to report the statewide transit tax on the Form W-2. We're analyzing the impact of adopting an administrative rule that requires statewide transit tax wages and withholding to be reported in Box 14 of the W-2. This prospective rule change would be part of our fall 2018 rulemaking process. The draft rule would be posted on our website for review, and there would be the opportunity for public comment on the potential impacts of this requirement."

https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/businesses/pages/statewide-transit-tax.aspx

In September Ernst & Young issued this confirming box 14:

"— Form W-2 reporting. The Department will require employers to report the subject wages and withholding amounts for Statewide Transit Tax on the Form W-2 in Box 14. Filers using Manual Entry in iWire will see the appropriate text boxes for entering this information. Otherwise, bulk filers using text files will find the appropriate W-2 specifications on the Eepartment's iWire."

https://taxnews.ey.com/news/2018-1461-oregon-issues-frequently-asked-questions-to-assist-with-the-ne...

But then Oregon later issued some rule indicating box 14 requirement to start in tax year 2019...with no indication of what to do for 2018 W-2 forms:

"(3) Reporting for Statewide Transit Tax Withheld.

(a) Employers must report statewide transit tax withheld in Box 14 of the W-2 with the designation ORSTT W/H in addition to the requirements in subsection (2)(a) of this rule. 

Example: ORSTT W/H - $15.00

(b) Subsection (3)(a) of this rule is effective for tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2019."

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/viewSingleRule.action?ruleVrsnRsn=254567

This says box 14 too  (Sept of 2018):

https://agriculture.trimble.com/software/w2-updates-for-2018-filing/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies