Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Getting msg saying "we are updating how sep and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the irs check back later" help plz?

Any update on when this will be fixed? 

Getting msg saying "we are updating how sep and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the irs check back later" help plz?

No.  If you paid the Turbo Tax fees at least you locked in the lower price.

next week they saying 

I normally have them take it from my refund! 

Hopefully Monday lol! I was looking at H&R block but I don't want to have to start everything over from scratch. :(

I am not mad at anyone. My tax refund for state went down. If there is a chance it might go up, I am fine with waiting for the IRS and their changes to take effect. Thanks for the clarification! PS: I do not share the negative comments aimed at TT. I love this program!

According to the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/common-errors-on-form-w-2-codes-for-retirement-plans) your employer used the wrong code for Box 12.  IRS says Simple Plans should use Code D, not Code S.

If you change the code in TurboTax, it will go through (print out the above page from the IRS website to keep with your tax records in case of audit).

Common mistakes

During Form 5500 examinations, IRS agents found employers using incorrect codes in Box 12 of Form W-2, for example:

• code D for 401(k) elective deferrals incorrectly included 403(b), 457, or non-qualified amounts.
  • code E for 403(b) contributions but did not have a 403(b) plan.
  • code H to incorrectly report health benefits; code H is for elective deferrals to a 501(c)(18)(D) tax-exempt organization plan. (In fact, a recent Employee Plan Compliance Unit project found that only 6 % of employers who used this code actually contributed to a 501(c)(18) plan.)
  • code S for a SIMPLE 401(k); the correct code for a SIMPLE 401(k) is code D.

Did they just update that? 

I got the same message.  Ended up going to a different online tax preparation company to file my return with no issues.  My return has been filed with the other company.  After years of only using Turbo Tax I won't be back.  This is so frustrating that a company this large has not been able to fix the reporting issue.    

Who did you end up using? I've been using TurboTax for a while now too. :(

Thank you for that link!

If I am reading it correctly, Code D is for SIMPLE 401(k) plans.

Code S is for SIMPLE IRA plans.

I would suggest verifying which type of retirement account you have before changing the letter in the box.

Great info, though! Thanks again. 🙂

I actually have Code S on mine because I have a Simple plan. It still gave me this message not allowing me to finish filing. Guess I will check back next week and see what's up. 

Whysper76

I got the same message, very frustrating 

My coworker & I both have the code S on our W2's and we have simple IRA's but my coworker just changed hers to code D and it went through. 

I tried to file today and still same error, when will this be fixed?? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies