turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lh2

"Box 12 NY State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution" Box 12 is $63.90 and gross distribution is $1,278.00?

TurboTax keeps telling me "Box 12a For electronic filing, New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution" Box 12 is only $63.90 and my gross distribution is $1,278.00 and there is no number for Box 14 State distribution. Why is it saying this? it won't let me get passed it? it keeps repeating... on top of that, this information was uploaded by my bank automatically - I didn't even type Box 12 myself, so it is definitely not a typo or wrong number... how do I get passed this? Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
cpl41922

"Box 12 NY State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution" Box 12 is $63.90 and gross distribution is $1,278.00?

All I did is enter in the value that is in Box 1 in Box 14.  It accepted the change and the NYS return got transmitted OK.

Personally I think this is a bug in TurboTax.  I looked at my 2015, 2016, and 2017 1099Rs.  All of them had "blank" in Box 14 which came from Merrill Lynch that way.

Did not have this problem with my 2015 or 2016 Returns.

Turbotax needs to fix this bug.

duskis

YES, They do! Ditto on never had this problem before.
crm1

The fact that it passes the check process and only pops up at submission time appears to me to be a last minute add from the Turbotax team for some reason.  I called Fidelity on my 1099-R and they were adamant the blank Box 14 was exactly correct per IRS instructions.  I am reluctant to just fill in Box 14 since it should be exact copy of what Fidelity has provided.

Yes, TURBOTAX has a bug in the NYS 1099R "phantom box 12a", Boxes 12 and 14. I also had a Fidelity 1099R. Boxes 1 and 2a = $2000, Box 12 = $1980 and Box 14 is null. The Fed went through quickly. TUBBO-NYS put me into a loop, passed the check process than failed on submission. Went through all the entries, re-entered, etc. Same results. Then I deleted the "evil spirit box 12a". It transmitted! Then I realized it also deleted my real box 12 and made it null. So my $859 refund went to an underpayment of -$1121. My bad?! I talked with NYS this morning, I have a amended return ready to go via Certified USPS.

Then I did my search on the TURBOTAX forum and found that others have had the same issue with box 12a, etc. My Bad for no looking further into this before submission and checking the refund amount on the TURBOTAX screen. I have asked NYS to look into TURBO's bug.  

Hey TURBOTAX, can you fix it? For next year?

Please see the answer in the link below.  Turbotax cannot just transfer in a number from 1,2a or 2b because each individuals situation can be different.
NY State Box 14:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3994100-state-distribution-box-is-blank-on-1099-r-line-14-state-wi...>
superso

BUG! AFTER I paid for turbotax online, it did a "final check" and this error forces me to file manually! "NY State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution" Box 12 is zero. Box 14 is zero. Everything is zero! Only box 12 can be edited. I tried $1, $0 and even $-1!  If I'd known I wouldn't be able to efile, I would have just gone to an accountant and saved my money!
z123mm
Returning Member

This was an excellent solution.  Thank you to the poster of it!!  Turbotax, you need to get on the ball, but thank you too for providing for this post.

I just made box 14 same as box 1.  Went thru it.   

I did file an USPS amended return to NYS and received my $859 overpayment in just 30 days. I noted on the return that TURBOTAX has a problem with 1099R data, boxes 12 and 14. Next year, hopefully TURBOTAX fixes the bug or I use numbers in boxes 12 and 14 that work or I file paper via USPS. TURBOTAX should not sell a product that does not work! (My TURBOTAX is complimentary from TRPrice.)

The problem described by users in June 2019 still exists.  I just finished my 2019 taxes and am receiving the same error message. Shame on Turbo Tax for not fixing the but.  I went back to 2012 and checked my prior 1099Rs and returns and the 1099R was filled in exactly the same and I had no problem filing.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please check box 14 on the 1099-R. If they reported State withholding, they should have also reported State distribution (of as much if not mare) in Box 14. 

@Unhappy NY Filer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My 1099 has a reported state withholding but no state distribution in Box 16. Box 12a isn't even a value entry box for me it is  check box for FATCA filing requirement.

@yjf2507 

This series of questions is from last year, 2019 taxes......and the box numbers have been renumbered since then for 2020 taxes.

That being said, there is apparently a review/error page that still refers to box 12....when it should be referring to box 14.     Paper software 1099-R forms leave box 16 empty, but "in the software" it needs the value of box 2a in it if box 2a has a value, or box 1 if not.....thus...Your box 14 has a value in it, and box 16 does not, so you need to enter the value of box 2a into box 16.

For the software to calculate properly, you cannot have State withholding (14) taken out of nothing if box 16 is empty.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Got it. You know this is what I figured, but it's incredibly frustrating that TurboTax hasn't actually fixed this issue with reading the 1099-R properly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies