turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am 62 and have two adopted daughters I I collect my retirement for all of us I also good adoption subsidies does this need to be reported? Will it affect our benefits?

I receive my retirement at 62 I have two adopted daughters that I get benefits for I also receive an Adoption Subsidy does this need to be claimed on my taxes and it will it affect our benefits for Social Security

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am 62 and have two adopted daughters I I collect my retirement for all of us I also good adoption subsidies does this need to be reported? Will it affect our benefits?

If you are receiving the Adoption Subsidy from a government agency, it is almost positively not taxable.

As such, it will not affect how your Social Security (or other retirement income) is taxed.

Only 'earned' income (from a job or self employment) potentially affect how much you receive for your early-retirement Social Security, so the Adoption Subsidy will not affect that either.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

What retirement benefits are you receiving?  Social Security or something else?  Or SS and some other pension, etc.?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ask the "adoption subsidy" payer if that is taxable and if  you will be getting any kind of tax reporting form in January.  Once you know the answer to that question your other question can be answered.

FYI - if your daughters get any SS in their own name and ssn you do not report it on your return.  It would only go on their return if they have other income to report.

I am receiving my social security retirement for me and the girls but I was told because I get Adoption Subsidy from the state that it would affect the girls amount of Social Security not mine is this so

If you are receiving the Adoption Subsidy from a government agency, it is almost positively not taxable.

As such, it will not affect how your Social Security (or other retirement income) is taxed.

Only 'earned' income (from a job or self employment) potentially affect how much you receive for your early-retirement Social Security, so the Adoption Subsidy will not affect that either.

I had heard that because the subsidy money is basically the girls. Because they get Social Security that it has to be claimed as income on their part not mine is this true

As I said before, if the Adoption Subsidy is from a government agency, it is not taxable and does NOT affect anything on the tax return, either your tax return or the girls.

If the girls' income is only the Social Security (and the benefit from the non-taxable Adoption Subsidy), they are NOT required to file a tax return.

As for whether or not receiving the Adoption Subsidy will affect the amount of Social Security that the girls receive, it is very unlikely it will affect it.  However, that is a question that you would need to ask the Social Security Administration.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies