Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dheeney

As a sole proprietor, am I required to provide my social security number to a customer who wants to issue me a 1099 Misc? I provided monthly swimming pool maintenance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

As a sole proprietor, am I required to provide my social security number to a customer who wants to issue me a 1099 Misc? I provided monthly swimming pool maintenance.

Yes, I'm afraid so.  If you don't like doing that, you can always apply for an EIN for your business.  You don't have to have one unless you have a payroll, but you can always get one, just in case you need it for this purpose.

You can also explain that your customer does not need to provide you with a 1099 unless she is a business and wants to use her payments to you as a business expense.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

Yes, I'm afraid so.  If you don't like doing that, you can always apply for an EIN for your business.  You don't have to have one unless you have a payroll, but you can always get one, just in case you need it for this purpose.

You can also explain that your customer does not need to provide you with a 1099 unless she is a business and wants to use her payments to you as a business expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies