Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I established Coverdell Education Savings IRA for my grandchildern in the amount of $3000.00 in 2016. Can I deduct 2000.00 amount from my 2016 anual income. I am 60 years old

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I established Coverdell Education Savings IRA for my grandchildern in the amount of $3000.00 in 2016. Can I deduct 2000.00 amount from my 2016 anual income. I am 60 years old

According to the following information provided by the IRS, contributions to an ESA are not deductible.Topic 310 - Coverdell Education Savings Accounts:

A Coverdell education savings account (Coverdell ESA) is a trust or custodial account set up in the United States solely for paying qualified education expenses for the designated beneficiary of the account. There are certain requirements to set up a Coverdell ESA:

• When you establish the account, the designated beneficiary must be under the age of 18 or be a special needs beneficiary.
  • You must make the designation of the account as a Coverdell ESA when you create it.
  • The document creating and governing the account must be in writing, and it must meet certain requirements.

You may be able to contribute to a Coverdell ESA to finance the beneficiary's qualified education expenses. Contributions must be made in cash, and they're not deductible. Any individual whose modified adjusted gross income is under the limit set for a given tax year can make contributions. Organizations, such as corporations and trusts can also contribute regardless of their adjusted gross income. Contributors must contribute by the due date of their tax return (not including extensions). There's no limit to the number of accounts that can be established for a particular beneficiary; however, the total contribution to all accounts on behalf of a beneficiary in any year can't exceed $2,000.

In general, the designated beneficiary of a Coverdell ESA can receive tax-free distributions to pay qualified education expenses. The distributions are tax-free to the extent the amount of the distributions doesn't exceed the beneficiary's qualified education expenses. If a distribution exceeds the beneficiary's qualified education expenses, a portion of the earnings is taxable to the beneficiary. Amounts remaining in the account must be distributed when the designated beneficiary reaches age 30, unless the beneficiary is a special needs beneficiary. Certain transfers to members of the beneficiary's family are permitted.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc310.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

According to the following information provided by the IRS, contributions to an ESA are not deductible.Topic 310 - Coverdell Education Savings Accounts:

A Coverdell education savings account (Coverdell ESA) is a trust or custodial account set up in the United States solely for paying qualified education expenses for the designated beneficiary of the account. There are certain requirements to set up a Coverdell ESA:

• When you establish the account, the designated beneficiary must be under the age of 18 or be a special needs beneficiary.
  • You must make the designation of the account as a Coverdell ESA when you create it.
  • The document creating and governing the account must be in writing, and it must meet certain requirements.

You may be able to contribute to a Coverdell ESA to finance the beneficiary's qualified education expenses. Contributions must be made in cash, and they're not deductible. Any individual whose modified adjusted gross income is under the limit set for a given tax year can make contributions. Organizations, such as corporations and trusts can also contribute regardless of their adjusted gross income. Contributors must contribute by the due date of their tax return (not including extensions). There's no limit to the number of accounts that can be established for a particular beneficiary; however, the total contribution to all accounts on behalf of a beneficiary in any year can't exceed $2,000.

In general, the designated beneficiary of a Coverdell ESA can receive tax-free distributions to pay qualified education expenses. The distributions are tax-free to the extent the amount of the distributions doesn't exceed the beneficiary's qualified education expenses. If a distribution exceeds the beneficiary's qualified education expenses, a portion of the earnings is taxable to the beneficiary. Amounts remaining in the account must be distributed when the designated beneficiary reaches age 30, unless the beneficiary is a special needs beneficiary. Certain transfers to members of the beneficiary's family are permitted.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc310.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies