Skip to main content
Level 1
March 17, 2024
Question

1099-R State Exempt Income

  • March 17, 2024
  • 2 replies
  • 46 views

I received early distribution from government retirement system. I received a 1099-R that I included in my federal return. Box 14, for state taxes, read as "EXEMPT" on my 1099-R. The field for the federal return requires a numerical value. How do I enter "EXEMPT" and how do I exclude this income from my state (New York) return if the state return pulls from the federal return, not allowing me to selected individual forms to edit?

 

Thanks!

2 replies

DoninGA
Level 15
Level 15
March 17, 2024

Since there are no state income taxes withheld on the Form 1099-R, leave boxes 14, 15 and 16 blank (empty) when entering the Form 1099-R

Level 15
March 21, 2024

First, do not enter "EXEMPT" into TurboTax.

 

Second, I assume that you have indicated that your state of residence is New York State. If so, then in the screens after you enter the data for the 1099-R, you should see a screen similar to this (this is from the desktop product, the Online product may vary somewhat):

 

 

Please indicate the source of the pension, and if it is eligible, it will be removed from NYS income.

 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"