Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1099-R Box 14a for efiling New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

"Yes...the tax software could use some more help for repeated NY 1099-R issues.  But complaining here does little, as we users can't change it.   Call Customer Support and have them help you...maybe if the get enough calls/complaints they'll get on the software folks case to change their instructions to be more helpful."

Firstly, thanks for the quick response.

Second. My apologies.  I thought you were a TT rep.  As a fellow user, thanks for your help.

skg3

1099-R Box 14a for efiling New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

I have a -0- in Box 1 and  -0- in box 14a.  It will not let me file for NY return. Pls Help

Name: Abu Sillah, Cell# [phone number removed], Email: [email address removed]

The system will not allow me to (e)file:

I get this message:

1099-R Box 14a for (e)filing New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

On my my form: 1099-R there are fields that are not compatibles with Turbo Tax entry form:

example, Box 14a.

I have filled box #1, 2a, 3(0.00), 4, 5, 6(no entry), 7(cod=7), 8(no entry), 9a(no entry), 9b(0.00), 10(no entry), 11(no entry), 12(no entry), 13(no entry), 14[state tax withheld](EXEMPT), 15[state/payer's state no:(69-0210001), 16[state distribution](NY)

@Abu Sillah wrote:

Name: Abu Sillah, Cell# [phone number removed], Email: [email address removed]

The system will not allow me to (e)file:

I get this message:

1099-R Box 14a for (e)filing New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

On my my form: 1099-R there are fields that are not compatibles with Turbo Tax entry form:

example, Box 14a.

I have filled box #1, 2a, 3(0.00), 4, 5, 6(no entry), 7(cod=7), 8(no entry), 9a(no entry), 9b(0.00), 10(no entry), 11(no entry), 12(no entry), 13(no entry), 14[state tax withheld](EXEMPT), 15[state/payer's state no:(69-0210001), 16[state distribution](NY)

ONLY dollar amounts are permitted in box 14.     Leave all boxes 14-16 BLANK.

(14a & 14b just allow for two states).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

NY tax department requires a value in box 16, even if empty on your 1099-R.

box 16 should have the value of box 2a entered into it...or the Federally-taxable amount of box  if box 2a is empty or "undetermined"

Box 14 would be empty if your paper form says "exempt"

What makes the actual distribution exempt from NY taxes (only if you still live in NY), depends on what you checked on a follow-up page after the main form....used to look like the following, but selections might have changed some over the years:

1099R_NewYork.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

.................OK...so try it both ways.....................

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
billtepper
Returning Member

This answer did not work. Either way, if there was no state tax withheld for gross distributions whether they we not taken ($0) or were taken $ xxx.00) no amount works in 14 a. I cannot use Turbo tax. Must get help or will transfer to competitor.

@billtepper 

So....Call Customer Support on the phone

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

ocsrcj01

Box 14 has an amount entered however there is no entry in box 16 of the 1099-R.  I'm assuming I incorrectly withheld NY State Taxes.  I cannot complete my e-filing as a result.  Is there any way to fix this?  Should I just mail in my return?

NOTE: prior to 2020 the state tax was in boxes 12-14, 2020 renumbered those boxes to 14-16.

If there is no dollar amount in box 14 on yiur 1099-R then all boxes 14-16 must be blank.

If there is a dollar amount in box 14 then:
Box 16 is not usually required because it has been an 1099-R industrial standard for many years that if there is only one state in box 14 & 15 then the box 1 amount does not need to be allocated between two states - the entire box 1 amount is understood to be the state distribution so box 16 is just left blank.

But recently, there are at least two states (one being NY) that will reject 1099-R's with a state tax and a blank box 16 so it is okay to enter the box 1 amount into box 16 to satisfy the states requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Rockdog

Thank you sooooo much for taking time to answer this question.  Waited until the last minute so you are a life saver!

NYPanda
Returning Member

box 16 is not editable. how do i edit box 16?

@NYPanda wrote:

box 16 is not editable. how do i edit box 16?

Delete the 1099-R and re-enter.

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
(I'll choose what I work on - if that screen comes up)
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version left side) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

Audi2014

When running review I receive an error regarding my 1099-R stating that box 14 can not be greater then box1. and it is not, but I keep getting an error saying it is? How do I correct this?

@Audi2014 wrote:

When running review I receive an error regarding my 1099-R stating that box 14 can not be greater then box1. and it is not, but I keep getting an error saying it is? How do I correct this?

Delete the 1099-R and re-enter.  If there is no box 14 amount on your 1099-R then leave all boxes 14-16 blank.

If there is an amount in box 14 then box 16 should the same as box 1 (many IRA custodian leave it blank but some states require it).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies