turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer ID box 15 Error. I am active duty Military with Texas home of record "box 15" but no state income tax "0.00" when I try to file it says I need to enter employer ID number but there is none.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Employer ID box 15 Error. I am active duty Military with Texas home of record "box 15" but no state income tax "0.00" when I try to file it says I need to enter employer ID number but there is none.

Leave boxes 15 thru 17 blank

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Leave boxes 15 thru 17 blank

pgreulic
Returning Member

I expect TurboTax might get a lot of calls on this one (I called Fidelity first and they gave me a number but said it probably wasn't what was needed). In the past several years, I have never been asked for the employer ID number and it has been ignored even though I had TX in Box 15 and a dollar amount was in  Box 16.

Just saying that you might want to revert to your old style and ignore Box 15 Employer's State ID Number even if the State (TX) and the Dollar amount in Box 16 is completed.

That is what you did in the past.

Cheers,

- Pete

BillM223
Expert Alumni

We do not want to ignore box 15 if boxes 16 and 17 have data in them. Instead, TurboTax would want to know who withheld the taxes.

The situation with box 15 usually occurs when some software printing W-2s always enters a state code, even if the state (like Texas) has no income tax, and therefore, 16 and 17 are blank.

In such a case, we ask the taxpayer to blank out box 15, just to confirm that there was no withholding. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies