Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

black3746

I am a pennsylvania resident, on active duty military stationed outside of pennsylvania. It keeps asking for my school district and does not give an out of state option.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DS30

I am a pennsylvania resident, on active duty military stationed outside of pennsylvania. It keeps asking for my school district and does not give an out of state option.

If this is related to your PA resident state income tax return, just use the school district for the city you claimed when you joined the military (the same city for your legal state of residence (SLR)).

Also, just make sure that you are letting the TurboTax system know that you are on active military duty and that you are inputting your state of legal residency (SLR) as your resident state. Your SLR is usually your home of record – the state recorded by the military as your home when you joined the military (regardless of where you are stationed).

For example if your SLR is PA but you are stationed in CA, then you will use PA as your resident state in TurboTax.

If necessary , you may need to edit your personal information under the Personal Info tab (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) to let the TurboTax system know that you are in the U.S. Armed Forces.

You will need to make sure that you select yes -"I am a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard)".

Also answer "no" to "I lived in another state" (screenshot). Even though you may have lived in a different state, this will not apply if you are on active military service in a state other than your home of record state.

Additionally, if you earned any income outside your military pay in a state that is not your state of record, you will need to file a nonresident state income tax return to recognize this nonmilitary income. Otherwise you will only have a resident state income tax return for your home of record, the state where you lived when you joined the military.

Thank you for protecting our country.

As a military member from PA and currently stationed in NY, I file my PA state tax return as a resident of PA. Last year I was able to say that my school district is not in PA since I don't have a home in PA. But this year it is asking me for a school district. How do I go about this and do I have to pay school taxes to a district that I don't live in? 

Also, any idea when I can amend my state return using TurboTax? It says I got to wait till 1040x form for federal taxes gets published. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The nonresident option is still available in Pennsylvania. Select PA nonresident as your county on What County Did You Live In?

School district taxes are not part of the PA return. The county you selected is for school district funding. Nonresidents do not pay school district tax, which is billed at the local level.

Form PA Schedule PA-40X, Schedule PA-40X is available for print and file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, I was trying to file an amendment for just my PA state tax through TurboTax online for 2020, but looks like I can't do it because the federal 1040X is not available yet? Is that normal? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

That is correct.  

The forms has not been released yet.  Please see the link below for the anticipated release date of the 1040X and PA-40X. 

Forms release dates

PA forms release date

Please note, if you are only filing your state amended return, you can print it and mail it in.  

Instructions to amend a state return

Thank you! However, the link you provided to amend the state return again takes me back to Turbotax amendment system which doesn't allow me to start the amendment because the form 1040x is not available yet. Do I have to file an amendment for my federal taxes even if there are no errors in the federal tax if I need to amend my state return? 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You do not need to amend your federal return if you only need to change your Pennsylvania. However, you may not be able to get back into your account until Form 1040X is available.

PA-40X is available in TurboTax.

You can access your online account if you see “Add a State” on Tax Home. Clicking “Add a State” will get you back into your account. Click State in the left column and continue Pennsylvania. Add your changes. When you reach Change a Previously Filed Pennsylvania Return, select Yes, and fill in the information about your original PA-40.

Thank you so much!!!! This answers the question! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies