Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is my qbi passive activity loss carryover

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Qualified Business Income (QBI) passive activity loss carryover is created when losses from one QBI qualified business are netted against the gains from another.

If the net overall QBI is less than zero, it is carried forward as a loss from a separate qualified business and will reduce any potential QBI deduction in the following year (IRC Sec. 199A (c)(2)).

Section 199A (c)(2) states that:

If the net amount of qualified income, gain, deduction, and loss with respect to qualified trades or businesses of the taxpayer for any taxable year is less than zero, such amount shall be treated as a loss from a qualified trade or business in the succeeding taxable year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ckn13
Returning Member

RobertG,

Can you help me understand this?  I have a loss from 2018 of (71,103).  For 2019, on the QBI Deduction Summery Schedule, Line 2 there is a positive 96,827.  Line 6 is checked [Simplified Computation (Form 8995) and the following line 7 contains 5,145.

Schedule C, line 31 shows a Net Profit of 120,799 -> 80% of which is 96,639 - suspiciously close to the above 96,827, but maybe pure coincidence.  That 120,799 made it all the way into my 1040 and later on line 10 here comes my QBI deduction of 5,145.

I’m really lost.

Chuck N+13

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The $96,827 on line 2 of your QBI Ded Summary should show the total from the business(es) listed on line 1.

Note that your Schedule C income amount is reduced by any self-employed health insurance deduction and half of your self-employment tax to arrive at your QBI for that business.  That calculation for your return is $96,827, and you will see that on the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet after line 48 on your Schedule C form in TurboTax.

The $71,103 loss carried over from the prior year (should show on line 3 of the QBI Ded Summary) is subtracted from the $96,827.  The net is $25,724 and 20% of that is $5,145.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
svk203
Returning Member

ok I have a weird one.  I have QBI  passive suspended loss"carryforward to 2019" from 2018 taxes of -26,311  (from a K-1).    When I'm doing my 2019 taxes- the worksheet says carryforward to 2020- the same amount  Ok no problem. But- when doing the review- I get this error--- Sch K-1 Wks-Partnerships (Lakshmi Venture Partners LLc): QBI PY Susp Loss should not have a value when no previously disallowed losses are present for regular tax purposes."  I literally have no idea what this means and hence no idea how to fix.  Please help?

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies